Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Spectacle Solution's Air Lid for Vortech Users

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 08:22 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Spectacle Solution's Air Lid for Vortech Users

I worked this weekend, so had no time after the dyno pulls to post any comments of my own.

Checking the initial thread shows that we have deviated from focusing on the RESULTS. Therefore, I started a new thread.

My car was the test mule for Brian's new lid. I was the one who took it to Colvin's and did 6 pulls to find out what it can do. The cars available to Brian in the Memphis area have additional significant mods and were not good test mules. My '01 SS is relatively stock besides the Vortech kit. I volunteered to help and Brian had the cojones to ship his one and only lid to a total stranger.

Well, long story short: my previous best was 446 RWHP. With Brian's lid it jumped to 463 ! And, the air/fuel mix improved on top of that. When we took it up on the rollers in 4th, it would go a little richer than optimal with the Vortech kit. With Brian's lid, I was getting the extra air to bring it into a very good "zone". I do not have a boost gauge, but would not be surprised if the lid allowed a small gain there too. In addition to the gain of 17 RWHP at peak, I believe there are some spots in the RPM band where a gain of 19 RWHP was realized. I don't have the charts/graphs in front of me, but that's what I remember.

In addition to the performance gain, his lid really cleans up the front of the motor. I had velcro strips mounted to ensure the Vortech ducting pieces don't rub on each other - that is no longer a concern with his kit. Also, it looks much cooler when you can see the front of the head unit and the pulley - not possible with the kit when left "as is" from Vortech.

Brian is going to post (or already has) the dyno charts on his website. I emailed them to him a few hours after completing the testing. Just look at them and make your own decisions. From my perspective, gaining that kind of RWHP on an already modded car for that $ and 10 minutes of work is a fantastic deal.
Old 05-19-2003, 08:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Spectacle Solution's Air Lid for Vortech Users

That DOES sound like a good result, on the face of it. Very cost effective in time and money.

Great job!
Old 05-20-2003, 06:31 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

I forgot to add: all results were through a STOCK AC Delco paper filter. At least it was a nice clean one. :p

My Holley powershot was on back order for LLLLLOOOOONNNNNGGGGG time and did not arrive in time for the dyno session.

Old 05-23-2003, 01:50 PM

ttt
Old 05-23-2003, 03:47 PM
00z
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i tell you what if you GIVE me a vortech kit i'll buy a lid. now thats a deal. well, mabey not but it was worht a shot. when my boat comes in i'll be sure to buy one of these lids but untill then i'll just read about the great gains

Quick Reply: Spectacle Solution's Air Lid for Vortech Users