Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Reliable DD: P1SC vs. STS Help me decide

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 04:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Reliable DD: P1SC vs. STS Help me decide

Ive been doing some debating for quite some time about this subject. Which do you think would be a more reliable setup? This is on a mostly stock car with just headers, lid, and a tune. If I went the P1SC route, I would run 7lbs of boost and if I went with the STS, I would go with a TRT intercooler and 7-8 lbs. I also have a custom grind cam that I will be putting in my car soon. It is a 224/232 .567/.574 114+2 LSA, with Patroit Dual Gold Extreme Valvesprings and CV Products 7.4 hardned pushrods. Just looking for some input to both sides. I dont really see alot of people on these boards with the P1SC, and from what I have read the STS is kind of a love it or hate it subject. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Zach
Old 08-17-2007, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

this is gonna start a flame war my friend.......

but seeing the luck i have with my STS kit, i would go with STS.
they will end up costing about the same though. i've got roughly 6k with mine and im still gonna redo my manifolds to get better boost response

if you have headers, get rid of them for the STS. if you want the procharger, keep them.

i made 503/512 with 5.5-6psi with cam and matching fuel and intercooler all from STS....... and my car doesnt make a loud whistle to let people know what it has
Old 08-17-2007, 09:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99Z28LS1
this is gonna start a flame war my friend.......

but seeing the luck i have with my STS kit, i would go with STS.
they will end up costing about the same though. i've got roughly 6k with mine and im still gonna redo my manifolds to get better boost response

if you have headers, get rid of them for the STS. if you want the procharger, keep them.

i made 503/512 with 5.5-6psi with cam and matching fuel and intercooler all from STS....... and my car doesnt make a loud whistle to let people know what it has

I dont mean to start any wars on which is better, I would just like to know what would be best for me. On your STS kit, are you running the 60 or 67mm turbo? Im not looking for anything real extreme, just somewhere around 450-500 rwhp/tq. I think if I went the STS route, I would go with the 67 with my cam, wrap the exhaust, and a FMIC. Either one I believe will be about on the same price scale when its all said and done though.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by to-fst-4u
I dont mean to start any wars on which is better, I would just like to know what would be best for me. On your STS kit, are you running the 60 or 67mm turbo? Im not looking for anything real extreme, just somewhere around 450-500 rwhp/tq. I think if I went the STS route, I would go with the 67 with my cam, wrap the exhaust, and a FMIC. Either one I believe will be about on the same price scale when its all said and done though.
i have the 67. i like the simplicity of the STS system. to make above 450, you will need the above 5psi (depending on cam) matching fuel (for insurance) and the intercooler (also for insurance and good looks )
Old 08-17-2007, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

tough to say but if you haven't already dabbled in FI then I would say P1SC. Pretty much guaranteed HP, reliability, and results. STS can work great once you know your way around it, but not everyone is willing to go through that...although some love it as it is.

I think an easier way to look at it is:
-do I want to keep my exhaust as is or change for the turbo
-is your car lowered (bad for STS)
-are you a fan of SC or turbos (valid question IMO)
-where do you want your powerband?
and so forth
hope that helps...
Old 08-17-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i would think that a good head cam car with a tune would give you the power you want and save alot of trouble for you later on down the line unless you know that youre going to want to go even more extreme with the FI later.. id say keep the car NA and save the trouble and money.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go with the P1. I don't like the low hanging rear turbo setup, although I must say I've never driven one. A strong motor with a centri blower on it makes a strong combo with a hell of a high pull.

Jim
Old 08-17-2007, 11:53 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A P1SC will get you over 500 rwhp very reliably. Once you try for bigger numbers then issues will arise for the supporting cast.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:04 AM
10 Second Club

yes it all really depends on what you want out of the car, but for reliablility i would also have to say P1SC. dont get me wrong, i love my STS but i wouldnt say it is as reliable and simple as a SC. turbos do make more power down low though
Old 08-18-2007, 05:40 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99Z28LS1
i have the 67. i like the simplicity of the STS system. to make above 450, you will need the above 5psi (depending on cam) matching fuel (for insurance) and the intercooler (also for insurance and good looks )
Good deal man. If I went the STS route, I would go with the fuel system probably 60lb injectors, walbro 255 with hotwire harness, front mount, and my cam I have.

Originally Posted by z28hustle
i would think that a good head cam car with a tune would give you the power you want and save alot of trouble for you later on down the line unless you know that youre going to want to go even more extreme with the FI later.. id say keep the car NA and save the trouble and money.
Went the H/C/I route with my last car. Ready to venture into something different.

Originally Posted by JAvenger007
tough to say but if you haven't already dabbled in FI then I would say P1SC. Pretty much guaranteed HP, reliability, and results. STS can work great once you know your way around it, but not everyone is willing to go through that...although some love it as it is.

I think an easier way to look at it is:
-do I want to keep my exhaust as is or change for the turbo
-is your car lowered (bad for STS)
-are you a fan of SC or turbos (valid question IMO)
-where do you want your powerband?
and so forth
hope that helps...
I dont mind changing exhaust, Ive changed it about 4 times on my 98 Camaro. My car is lowered about in inch, and with the CME, I believe it will hide a good bit of the turbo being there. I am more of a turbo fan, (free horsepower really and the sound)

Thanks Guys.

Zach
Old 08-18-2007, 06:15 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Exclamation My thoughts on the STS system

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=540

For what it is worth, my opinion on the STS kit can be found here. Bob
Old 08-18-2007, 07:21 AM
TECH Addict

I have a link following a thread I started in which started out as part as my research, take a look.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...s+supercharger

Good luck on your decison, hope this helps!
Old 08-18-2007, 09:11 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either of the kits are going to need more than what comes with the kit. I vote P1SC. The only other thing it will need is a revamped cooling system if you plan on keeping your A/C. Altho, in NC, you may not have too much of an issue.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:51 PM
Launching!

what about a aps kit? ive heard nothing but good so far from the gto guys
Old 08-20-2007, 04:32 AM
Banned

STS DEAL OF A LIFETIME Just to make you abeliever!!!!!

Ok here we go!

STS kit
upgrade to the 67 turbo
Blow off valve
42lb Injectors
Walbro 255
TRT Intercooler Kit
Innovative Wideband
Boost Gauge
Dual Pillar Pod
Filter Sock
Air Shield
0-5 psi Boost Controller

5700 DOLLARS! AND THAT INCLUDES FREE SHIPPING

THIS IS GOOD FOR 2 PEOPLE THAT ARE LOOKING TO BECOME STS BELIEVERS!!!
Old 08-20-2007, 04:38 AM
Banned

Thats over a 7000 kit!!!

Quick Reply: Reliable DD: P1SC vs. STS Help me decide