Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

getting started with turbo???

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting started with turbo???

I would really love to install a turbo or twin turbo on my 02 ls1 motor. Its basically stock the only mods are in my sig. What all do I have to add to run a turbo system? Is it ok to run a turbo or TT on a stock block? How much money do will I need to get a complete setup to get up and running and how long will my engine last with one. Im turbo dumb so any advice will help me. Last but not least what numbers can I REALLY expect to see at the track in the quarter with a turbo or TT system. Thanks in advance for all your input
Old 05-27-2003, 03:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: getting started with turbo???

First off, expect to pay about 6 grand for either the incon kit or the ls1motorsports kit. I personally wouldnt go with any other. Second, if youre not doing the installation yourself, theres another $500 - $1000, then theres tuning, that about another $500 give or take. Third, boost selection is all dependant on how long you want your motor to last and how much power you want to make. Personally, i'd be very conservative and only run about 6psi. Theres a SS here with the incon kit running 6psi and dynoed 490rwhp. To get good track #'s you'll have to go to a strange or moser rear end. The first one or two launches on DR's or ET Streets will kiss your stock rear end goodbye, and theres another $3000. Essentially, if you fully prep the car (clutch, rear, fuel, tire) and take it to the track under 9 or 10 psi, on a good day i'd guess low 11's, maybe a high 10 or two.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Incon is out of business so not really an option. If you could find one and wanted it installed look to spend 1500-2000, if anyone would touch it. Its very involved installation, I installed mine myself. The CAS twin turbo kit seems to be ok, but there arent enough cars out to know (although it does seem to have problem with headers). The LS1 motorsport kit should abou the best.

Gary
Old 05-27-2003, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Does anybody know of good information websites where I can read about turbo's and general info? thanks
Old 05-28-2003, 08:25 AM
11 Second Club

http://www.turbols1.net/forum/

that's a new website that I go to everynow and then to check out some FI stuff.

Quick Reply: getting started with turbo???