Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Gains from timing with boost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 04:15 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gains from timing with boost?

Last night I got my car tuned with a HP 2bar Speed Density tune.I had a LS1edit tune with mass air.Before I was running 15 degrees of timing and getting alot of false knock so at full throttle my car was only running 11to11.5 degrees.Now with this speed density tune and new knock sensors I am running 17 degrees with no knock retard.A/F is 10.9

What do you guys think the power difference would be between my previous and and new setup?
Old 08-31-2007, 09:21 PM
9 Second Club

anyone???
Old 08-31-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You don't really 'make' power with timing, you loose power with timing. If you fire too early the piston has to work harder to reach top dead center and you open yourself up to all kinds of nasty things. If you fire too late, you don't get an efficient burn and don't extract the maximum amount of energy. The old joke is pill it to you kill it and back it down one but that can be an effective (and possibly dangerous way of tuning it). In a nutshell, when tuning for particular fuel/intake temps/engine temps/rpm/etc/etc, you slowly advance the timing until the power starts to fall off or it starting picking up knock; then back it down a bit. How much a bit is really depends on your comfort and wallet.

Done right, it can be a slow and methodical process.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 508 Likes on 358 Posts

The difference between 11 and 17* timing should be brutally obvious SOTP. An actual HP# is hard to say though.