Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Incon kit. -BOV, or Waste gate??

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 08:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Incon kit. -BOV, or Waste gate??

How does the Incon TT kit bleed extra boost? Is it internal, or is there an external waste gate?

I’ve got a couple of dumb questions....
Are BOVs & WASTE gates, the same thing?
I know the Waste gate bleeds extra boost not needed. & The BOV releases boost when you’re off throttle (Between shifts). But are they one unit, or separate units?

Here's why I ask.
I want to hear my turbo Hisss & whistle!! Especially between shifts. I love to hear that, "PsssssstT" sound between shifts!

I also want an external waste gate. I like to hear the extra boost bleed too! But mainly, I want to tune, adjust, and play with boost levels at the track. The controller needs to be easy to reach & adjust. I'd like to reach it from the top. From what I understand about the Incon TT kit. The boost is controlled on the turbos? I don't want to climb under the car every time I have to change boost levels. I want a boost controller that is easily accessible.
I'm thinking just crank up the turbo for maximum boost. And use the aftermarket WasteGate to bleed extra boost. Would that work?

Thanks!!!
Old 05-29-2003, 09:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: Incon kit. -BOV, or Waste gate??

its an awfully expensive way to get noise from the car, otherwise:

the incon kits dont come with a blowoff valve(not to mention incon doesn't exist anymore in case you didn't know) a bov releases some of the intake charge to reduce stress on the turbo when the throttle blade shuts in front of it.

the incon kit uses internal or integral wastegates. but you can ajust them easily by hand under the hood or buy a boost controller
the wastegates allow some of the exhaust gas(not intake charge) to bypass the exhaust wheel which slows it down and therefore doesnt spin the compressor wheel as much/make as much boost.

neither a bov or a wastegate will make any sound unless they are vented to atmosphere.

venting a wastegate to atmosphere is very uncommon exept for race only applications because it is not legal or safe to purge un muffled exhaust gas into the engine bay.
Old 05-29-2003, 02:43 PM
Launching!

A BOV would be a lot of money for sound. Buy a fake noisemaker if you must. As it is, there is a quite bit of noise between shifts. The closer to WOT, the louder the noise. And its a double noise, not single. A psst, psst on top of each other.

Changing the boost by the actuator rods is a major pain. I would not want to attempt it with the car on the ground, and especially if it is hot. I've tried a cheap bleed valve...no go. A cheap grainger valve is next to try, last is a several hundred dollar controler.

The waste gates are internal. To change would be impractical.

Another word of caution. Make sure which actuator rods you have. Incon made all different ones available. From 3 psi to 15 psi. Obviously quite a range. Once the turbos start spooling, there is no way to stop them in time. 15 psi on a stock engine will pop it like a balloon.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:18 AM
Teching In

Excellent info!
I know Incon is out of business. It's been hard to find info about the kit. I've been searching everywhere. Plus I'm new to the turbo concept. So it’s been twice as hard to understand how the Incon kit works. The best I have been able to do. Is search for people that have the F-Body kit, and ask for advice.

I guess you could say I’m turbo stupid. But I’m looking to change that.
I didn’t know a waste gate deals with exhaust gas. I was under the impression. A waste gate was after the turbo, to release extra boost. (Like if I want 8psi, I just adjust a valve to release anything over 8psi.) FORGET the external waste gate idea!

I figured the actuator rods were adjustable? (MarkC)- Are you saying…there is no way to adjust the boost, unless I find some different actuator rods?
You’re only taking about the output of the turbo. Right?
I can still adjust the boost(intake charge) with the integral waste gate? Yes?
Iv'e got the stage2 kit. It's supposed to make about 550rwhp. How can I tell which actuator rods I have?

MarkC-“
Changing the boost by the actuator rods is a major pain. I would not want to attempt it with the car on the ground, and especially if it is hot.
This is the main reason I asked about the waste gate.

I do a lot of racing. I want to adjust the rods so that I would get more boost than I need. Then get an aftermarket part to bleed off the extra boost. That way I can just pop the hood, and easily adjust boost. I don’t have a lot of money. But if I need to save up, to get an expensive boost controller. That’s what I’ll do.

I know it is not necessary to add a BOV on a turbo kit with low PSI. But I plan to keep this kit for a long time. I want to add the BOV. So the turbo kit & motor do not take any stress from the backpressure when the TB closes. I really am looking to build the best turbo kit I know how. The only problem is the “know how”. LOL

Sorry for the long post.
I can’t get enough Incon info. I dream about it. I crave it!!
The people on this site have been the best help. Thanks a million!! I really appreciate it!!
Old 05-31-2003, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

Boost is controlled by opening/closing the wastegate on any turbo setup. Check out some of the import magizines they always have info on turbo's or do a search for turbos online and that should help you understand how they work.

You can have the wastegate setup to dump out it's own pipe under the car vice routing it back into the main exhaust, but it will be OHMYGAWD LOUD!!!!!!! Your car will go from super quite to almost open exhaust loud when the WG opens. Nothing will scream "look at me" like that setup.

Old 06-02-2003, 08:48 AM
Launching!

I figured the actuator rods were adjustable? (MarkC)- Are you saying…there is no way to adjust the boost, unless I find some different actuator rods?
You’re only taking about the output of the turbo. Right?
I can still adjust the boost(intake charge) with the integral waste gate? Yes?
Iv'e got the stage2 kit. It's supposed to make about 550rwhp. How can I tell which actuator rods I have?

I do a lot of racing. I want to adjust the rods so that I would get more boost than I need. Then get an aftermarket part to bleed off the extra boost. That way I can just pop the hood, and easily adjust boost. I don’t have a lot of money. But if I need to save up, to get an expensive boost controller. That’s what I’ll do.

The actuator rods have a limited adjustment. Maybe ± 1 psi or less. I am talking about both. Just so you know, the actuators actuate the wastegates. Movement of the actuators limits the boost.

The stage 2 kit contained the extra computer, and injector system. Most who bought this ditched it immediately. Actuators was a personal option. You could order any set. I have no idea how to tell them apart.

You want to use the correct rods to get the lowest boost you want, then use a controller to bleed off the boost signal to fool the actuators into thinking they are making less boost than they really are. Thats how controllers work.

I don't think you will take this advice, but I would just walk away from this deal. Too many unknowns.

Quick Reply: Incon kit. -BOV, or Waste gate??