Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Waste gate vlv

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007 | 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Default Waste gate vlv

Just installed a BOV to FMIC. Started thinking, know that's dangerous. Why do we operate the waste gate from the manifold pressure? When we reach set pressure the waste gate opens and allows the exhaust to bypass the turbo, we get off throttle to shift and seperate the waste gate from seeing the turbo pressure. Would it more efficient to tie the waste gate hose before the throttle body? Anyone experiment with this?
Old 09-10-2007 | 09:37 PM
Launching!

its supposed to be before the throttle plate. look here www.tialsport.com and click on technical then wg install diagram
Old 09-10-2007 | 09:40 PM
TECH Veteran
10 Year Member20 Year Member

We are talking fractions of a second here, but with the wastegate referenced to the manifold, it closes as fast as possible when the throttle closes and causes manifold vacuum. If it were referenced before the BOV, it would take some tiny amount longer to close the wastegate, so in theory it would take longer to respool. I think you would be hard pressed to actually notice the difference.
Old 09-10-2007 | 10:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Subliminal Hit
its supposed to be before the throttle plate. look here www.tialsport.com and click on technical then wg install diagram
Thanks, makes perfect sense to me. My STS install calls for the waste gate to be activated from the brake boost line that comes directly from the intake manifold. Gonna move it to the other side of the throttle blade.
Old 09-11-2007 | 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

if anything you will only notice slower boost recovery from the shift