Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

turbo ls1 advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 04:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo ls1 advice

hey everyone this is my first post on this forum and figured this would be the best section to find a answer. im currently in the process of building a ls1 powerd 3rd gen rx7 and because i have a big problem with being mainstream i strive to be a bit unique so i have decided to go with a single turbo setup, now im not shooting for a dyno queen or race only car its going to be my play car take her out to the track every so often and weekend cruises when its nice out. my goal is 430-450rwhp. i know that its going to need custom fab headers, turbo pipeing, and most likely some cutting in the engine bay but i feel it will be worth the trouble. so do you think that power output would warrent me geting a good set of pistons or not and what kind of turbo would you recomend would fit my needs for power? any help would be awsome
Old 09-16-2007, 05:38 AM
TECH Resident

I'm no expert, but a 67 @ 8lbs should get you there. If you have the money get forged pistons and at least ARP rod bolts. The stock LS1 has been known to last at low boost with a good tune. You def. going to need better valve springs also.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Better ditch the 3.90 or 4.10 rear end in favor of a ford unit with 3.23 or 3.42 somewhere around there. The 67 will get you to the 430 whp easy with stock components, but will be a low end bruiser, not good with the rx7 gears at all.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cdk4219
Better ditch the 3.90 or 4.10 rear end in favor of a ford unit with 3.23 or 3.42 somewhere around there. The 67 will get you to the 430 whp easy with stock components, but will be a low end bruiser, not good with the rx7 gears at all.
What do you mean by "low end bruiser?" Too much torque down low?
Old 09-20-2007, 01:06 AM
TECH Resident

Cool

Originally Posted by Rhythm
What do you mean by "low end bruiser?" Too much torque down low?

yes-thats what he meant-

also boost is the key- the more boost the less the engine will put up with-

u will need injectors and a fuel system at least and dont forget the valve springs-

low boost will be okay

i guess we are talking about the standard compression ratio? should also be good to get the turbo on boost but their will be a boost limit for that comp ratio-

other guys with more f1 know how will let u know-

Last edited by njc.corp; 09-20-2007 at 01:23 AM.

Quick Reply: turbo ls1 advice