Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FI motor without FI

Old 09-25-2007, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FI motor without FI

Im going to go turbo and i want to set up the motor ...around 600 rwhp and high 10's with a pretty stripped out car. Im pretty sure im going to stay with an aluminum block. It will handle it correct?I ts gonna be backed up by a th400 and a 9 inch. My question is right now I dont have the funds for the turbo kit itself...wat if I set up the top end for boost? cam swap and ported heads and ran it for a while? I was thinknig the speed inc tu1 cam or the epp boost cam would I gain any power n/a for the time being? and then progressively build a kit including rods and pistons to lower my compression. And then finish it off what do you guys think?
Old 09-25-2007, 08:57 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going to do that then I would just go ahead and set it up for the boost,as in the cam and stuff. That is what I did and my car was still pretty fast for a low comp. motor. No since in buying stuff twice for the motor.
Aluminum block should be ok,but if you are going for big #'s and power I would go iron block!
Old 09-26-2007, 07:54 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first question is, are you plannign on doing most/all of the work yourself? If so, then what you are thinking will be OK. It will take more work on your part to do those thing seperately or a couple at a time.

If you are not going to do the work yourself, then for sure do the cam, rods, and pistons first. Pulling the motor, setting up the shortblock, and then reinstalling is going to be a bit. There is no point in paying to have the motor pulled and installed multiple times. If you do not have the money to cover the cam, rods, pistons, and ported heads, save the ported heads for later. Get the shortblock built and installed first, everything else can be added later seperately if needed.

Keith
Old 09-26-2007, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran my 8.5:1 383 for a year before getting the turbo on. Ran fine just not that quick.

Search this Thread