Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

402 D1SC converter suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 07:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 402 D1SC converter suggestions please

Just curious to see what seems to be working well. 8.5 CR forged 402 with a middle of the road blower cam and D1SC @ 11-12lbs with 3.42s. Car ate the tranny on the dyno last weekend, so I figured I might rethink the converter when I throw the FLT L5 in. The car's not a DD and I have no illusions, so ETs/performance are the goals and I can live with whatever as far as street driving goes. It's currently got a 4k stall of unknown manufacture (Yellow converter with a hefty front plate)... Car is fine in first (due to the lack of traction). When I'm on the boost in 2nd and up it's pretty soft (hard to tell exactly how much was the tranny and how much was blowing through the converter). It SOUNDS like it's putting massive power down on the dyno, but 429rwhp at 11.0afr (with some belt slippage issues too). Might squeeze a 100 shot once the car gets dialed in on the blower, but not until then. I don't care what brand it is, I just want it to work well, leave hard and not blow WAY through the stall on the boost (and eventually a small hit). Thanks in advance!

-Roger
Old 10-07-2007, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a the cash, I would suggest call Neal Chance, and talk to Marty. He will set you up with a good converter.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by crashinaz
Just curious to see what seems to be working well. 8.5 CR forged 402 with a middle of the road blower cam and D1SC @ 11-12lbs with 3.42s. Car ate the tranny on the dyno last weekend, so I figured I might rethink the converter when I throw the FLT L5 in. The car's not a DD and I have no illusions, so ETs/performance are the goals and I can live with whatever as far as street driving goes. It's currently got a 4k stall of unknown manufacture (Yellow converter with a hefty front plate)... Car is fine in first (due to the lack of traction). When I'm on the boost in 2nd and up it's pretty soft (hard to tell exactly how much was the tranny and how much was blowing through the converter). It SOUNDS like it's putting massive power down on the dyno, but 429rwhp at 11.0afr (with some belt slippage issues too). Might squeeze a 100 shot once the car gets dialed in on the blower, but not until then. I don't care what brand it is, I just want it to work well, leave hard and not blow WAY through the stall on the boost (and eventually a small hit). Thanks in advance!

-Roger

I run a TIGHT 4200 TCI Converter... I've sent mine back to TCI 3x having them change it and i have nothing but great things to say about their customer service!
Old 10-08-2007, 11:09 PM
Launching!

Good info. Thank you. Are the Yank Extreme converters really as tight as people seem to say. From what I've been reading, the 3600 almost sounds like it's so tight it might not be enough stall for the car. Maybe not...
Old 10-08-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy P
If you have a the cash, I would suggest call Neal Chance, and talk to Marty. He will set you up with a good converter.
I definitely second this... He had it to my front porch in a matter of a week, it's sturdy as hell, and once I finally got my TH400 in and going I would not go with anything else... it's very friendly on the road until you hit the go pedal and all hell unleashes... It's a sick converter...
Old 10-08-2007, 11:54 PM
TECH Resident

Neal Chance. Now that i have had one (ive had alot of others) I would never go with anything else