Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

***Exhaust/Procharger Question***

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***Exhaust/Procharger Question***

Just wondering if Headers and Ypipe make a huge difference in power vs just a catback? Right now I have just a hooker catback.

I have a deal to get a set of Pacesetters and a Custom 3" ORY pipe for $300 locally, but what Im worried about is Loudness, raspyness, and drone.

I dont want anything to overly loud where you cant have a normal conversation in the car....I hate rasp!!! and drone!!!! Am I going to have alot of that if I go with the headers and ORY?

If so how can I fix it? or would it be best to just maybe put a electric cutout on my stock exhaust?

Thanks for any help!!!

Ryan-
Old 10-14-2007, 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=my01ws6;7943263]Just wondering if Headers and Ypipe make a huge difference in power vs just a catback? Right now I have just a hooker catback.

I have a deal to get a set of Pacesetters and a Custom 3" ORY pipe for $300 locally, but what Im worried about is Loudness, raspyness, and drone.

I dont want anything to overly loud where you cant have a normal conversation in the car....I hate rasp!!! and drone!!!! Am I going to have alot of that if I go with the headers and ORY?

If so how can I fix it? or would it be best to just maybe put a electric cutout on my stock exhaust?

Thanks for any help!!!

The sound decibel mainly will come from the type and brand of muffler you choose, Yes headders will increase the sound level a little over stock manifolds and if you have cats and just hollow them out, this will also be an area for sound resonance. But people say the the Flowmasters are crap, well I had a Two chamber Flowmaster and the drone on the highway in the cockpit made conversations a hearing impared challenge, My car made 648 RWHP so I decided that if I loose a few ponies to aid in the sound deading process so be it. I had a Flowmaster for an SUV installed, very quiet, still has that low muscle car tone and is nice on WOT, back on the Dyno, Still 648 RWHP..
Old 10-15-2007, 01:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much of a power do you lose by keeping the stock exhaust?
Old 10-15-2007, 02:02 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by my01ws6
How much of a power do you lose by keeping the stock exhaust?
None with a cut-out. A LOT with it corked.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:38 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say there is a 30 to 40 rwhp difference between manifolds and a good set of headers when using forced induction. Bob