Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

434" Buildup

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 06:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DeltaT
Chris,

I like the auto but need to add a paddle shifter (Shrifter from Twist Machine). It gives you full manual upshift control, and as a downshift you can select the gear you want to be in when you reach 'X' speed at 'Y' TPS. You can't really use engine braking much, so good brakes are important. Also with the tranny in manual mode, it will shift back to First automatically when you stop so you can't mistakenly try to take off in 3rd or something. Flick the switch on the dash and you are back to being a regular 4L80E with all your programming intact.

Alloy block would have been another $2000 to save 100 pounds. That hundred pounds is important, but not that important to me. I can remove a hundred pounds easily just by putting fiberglass bumpers on it for the track, for maybe $250.

Jim
Jim that auto softwear sounds very similar to the 'flappy paddle shift boxes' you get from the like of BMW etc. what the upshift time?? i suppose the good thing about the Auto is you can keep the throttle fully open and there isn't even an ignition cut! would be very good for turbos. can you have the auto setup so in manual it only reacts to imputs form the paddles?? then you could basically shift down when you want to.

ahhh i see what you meen about the ally block! lol guess you could allways swap it for the ally one later once you have everything up and running.

Cheers

Chris.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Response is very quick since it is a purely electrical event until the solenoids activate in the 80E. And it also depends on TPS position, speed and how you have the tranny computer programmed. If your tranny is in 'kill' mode (mine is set to be there >47% TPS), then shifts are very fast and firm because line pressure is high (>180psi).

Downshift with the TCI is only like I describe in my last post above.

I ordered the Shrifter unit yesterday:

Wireless Paddle Shifter for Hot Rods

UPSHIFT: Shift faster than a manual or traditional
automatic transmission.
DOWNSHIFT: Select the proper gear to power out
of corners without unwanted delay or gear hunting.
AUTO & MANUAL MODES: Switch between manual
and fully automatic modes on the fly.

I'm going to take the unit apart and have it hard anodized so it is an inconspicuous grey, like my wheels. The steering wheel bolts to it so the paddles move with the wheel.

Jim
Old 11-26-2007, 01:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

very nice delta!

i guess you will be having it swap down gears only when it really needs to then. it would be really nice if you could have 100% contorl over the box so you could down shift when you wanted.

it really does seem like a pretty viable option to fast gear changes though. its got to be faster than a H-pattern manual. and there isn't a sequential out there!

keep us posted on the build.

Chris.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some updates

Things are going slowly, since the set of Cometics I first got were too small - they would havehung over the bore slightly in a couple places, leading to hot spots and detonation, so I bit the bullet and ordered a custom set with a 4.180" bore. They should be here next week, then things can get rolling faster.

Here's a few pictures of things I've added this week.

Lifter valley vents to force the top end oil to drain back through the front block drains instead of down onto the crank. Since I'm running a solid roller I don't need gravity lube:

The new Edelbrock Super Victor EFI Manifold for Vortec-style heads, just out of the box:

2 manifold intake ports, before I do the port matching, cleanup and blending:

The Canton Racing Oil Adapter w/o Bypass, in place and ready to plumb. This replaces the standard GM bolt-in filter adapter, and forces all oil to go through the remote filter, and if it's hot enough, on through the oil cooler:

And the Vigilante 9.5" 5-disc lockup converter, 2800 stall, rated to handle WOT lockups to 1600HP (not that I'll ever test that limit!):

I might start port matching tomorrow, or start pulling the accessories off the 383 to get ready to pull the motor/4L80E combo. More to come.

Jim

My Site: http://home.mindspring.com/~jim_fisk/id1.html

Quick Reply: 434" Buildup