Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Project build. Need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Project build. Need help

Hey all, long time member here and I've learned a lot.

Anyways, I've dug into my car face first and everything is basically out. Motor is torn down, trans is out, interior everything. I am re-doing the car bottom up.

Now I have decided that I want to go with a turbo setup. I haven't learned much at all about turbos, but as always I'm open to learn.

Now from what research I have done THUS far, I seem to be leaning towards a 418 stroker motor or a 408. I kind of want to be a little different because it seems like everyone and their motor is going along with a 402 or 408. That's great and I certainly don't rule out the idea.

Now with a 418 motor, I was thinking along the lines of an s88 turbo, but that's just from reading. I'm not too sure what that means. is that an 88trim turbo?

Now with going this turbo route are there companies out there that straight up sell turbo kits with your option of turbo??

I know many other upgrades are needed, fuel system, heads, this that I know. Just really right now want to get a motor and turbo chosen so that I can get this money saving thing and motor build under way.

Anyways, thanks for all your help, and you can bet that I will be going on a reading up on turbos and such.

Thanks again everyone

Chris
Old 12-06-2007, 07:16 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Check out the OFI kit, it will be exactly what you want for the large T4 or T6 turbo. Make sure you build a stout motor for it, solid fuel system, fully done drivetrain, etc. With a 4xx motor and a large frame turbo, you'll be in the power zone where you'll find Everything's weak point!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 12-06-2007, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've been talking a lot and I was also thinking about a 9:1 454 stroker with maybe a s88 turbo, but I'm not sure turbos. Any help is appreciated and thanks superman09 for the response
Old 12-06-2007, 12:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

that set up will be rediculously expensive and it would be useless on the street imo. i dont think u will need any more than 408 ci either. if i were u id do a 346 or 364 and s88 or s91 turbo. they will make more than enough power and be more controlable

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 12-06-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you want to spend the cash, LSX block and twins. You'll have a hard time making a single turbo feed a large cube engine, and still be a street car. Unless you want to go with a large frame turbo and relocate everything. Then its more race car and less streetable. The LSX block would be nice to hold down the heads. And its not a waste on the street. My car holds 800 no problem. No spin or stepping out, just haul ***. I'm about to see what a 1000 will do.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I would go with a 408 and a s -series turbo plus my t6 turbo kit. This will get you the power that you need and more. Whats kind of power are you looking for? Also whats the most power you have ever driven in a car? What kind of money you looking to spend? Just a few questions to get a better idea on what you really want to do. Shoot me a pm if want. I can help you with what you need.

thanks Joel
Old 12-06-2007, 04:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tt427ls1
I would go with a 408 and a s -series turbo plus my t6 turbo kit. This will get you the power that you need and more. Whats kind of power are you looking for? Also whats the most power you have ever driven in a car? What kind of money you looking to spend? Just a few questions to get a better idea on what you really want to do. Shoot me a pm if want. I can help you with what you need.

thanks Joel
Ditto OFI's kit with our S91 will make stupid amounts of power and VERY streetable. The S-series units spool very nicely for their size.

Quick Reply: Project build. Need help