Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

? About Rods

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 02:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? About Rods

Okay, I will soon be in the process of a custom twin turbo project in my car and was wondering what the stock connecting rods were rated to? I DO have ARP rod bolts already in, was really just wondering the structural integrity of the rods if im pushing big boost? Anybody have experiences or anything........? Oh and by the way I have forged pistons,...-2cc valve reliefs,....will have 317 heads, CR should be around 9:5 Im guessing and hoping. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Id say don't take a chance and just get some good rods, if your already going twin turbo, don't go cheap on the little things they'll come back and bite ya later on down the road.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:49 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran a stock rodded engine with forged pistons for a year well into the 9s, I was very careful not to detonate it and keep the RPM under 6600 or so but they held up pretty well and two years later the same short is still driving in another car. Main reason that engine had stock rods was the engine was done back in 1999 and cheap 6.125 rods and pistons werent the norm for LS1s.

But these days there are plenty of fairly cheap aftermarket rods out there, if you can keep it under 600hp or so and are careful with your tune they will last a long time. But like any other weak link in the driveline its something you will always be worried about.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:44 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks a ton kp! I'm really just looking to get deep into the 10's or a high 9 would be unexpectadly satisfactory. The car has been turning 6950rpm shifts for the past year and hasn't missed a beat, running 11.7-8's with the N/A setup...although like i said its got ARP rod bolts already. I was looking to be 600hp+ but more than likely less than 700. I've just already gone through buying everything brand new for the car and dont have the bank roll to be continuing with that behavior going into the turbo build if I can help it.