Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Boost spike or boost dropoff? Turbo Z06

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 02:45 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost spike or boost dropoff? Turbo Z06

I have a Turbocharged '03 Z06 with a PTE T71. I am trying to see if my situation is normal. Please read the following and give me your thoughts. I am especially interested in responses from the guys running the QMP Turbo Kit as it is very similar to the one that I am running.

Current situation:
Hard Parts: PTE T71, Blitz SBC-ID Boost Controller, Tial 46MM wastegate (7.5lb spring), Blitz BOV. I have the boost controller set up actuator style vs. wastegate (vacuum hose from turbo to in port of solenoid, vacuum hose from out port of solenoid to side port of wastegate)

Issue: I'm not sure if I have a boost spike problem or a boost drop-off problem. When I turn the boost controller off. My boost will hit 8.5lbs (7.5lbs spring) for about 300rpm, then drop off to 7psi by 6100rpm. This is in auto setting btw. When I set the boost at 37% ratio on manual setting, the boost hits 12.5 psi for about 300rpm then slowly drops to between 9.5 and 9.9 psi by 6100 rpm.

Goal: to be able to set the boost controller and have it reach the preset boost level and stick to redline.

Questions:
Is my goal realistic? For you single turbo guys with external wastegates, does your boost spike or fall off like what I've described.

Do I have a wastegate problem? If so, how do I check the wastegate. So far, I have used a brake bleeder pump to pressurize the wastegate (hooked to side port of wg), covered top port. The pressure would build to whatever level that I set and then slowly bleed down to zero. Is this normal? Should the wastegate hold 7.5psi of pressure (WG has 7.5lb spring in it)?

Last question, would I get better boost response using the actuator style hose routing and setting or the wastegate style hose routing and setting?

Guys, I'll thank you in advance for your help. I've been trying to trouble shoot this thing for a bit now. Any help that you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-06-2003, 03:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: Boost spike or boost dropoff? Turbo Z06

Most electronic controllers don't hold boost all that great. If you just run a single vacuum line to the side nipple, leave the top open, it should run whatever the spring setting is. Try hooking the blitz up like that. Thats how I run all my Tials, and never had a boost controll issue. I run manual BCs with just the side port hooked up.
Old 07-06-2003, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Boost spike or boost dropoff? Turbo Z06

Ditch the SBC ID...I bet that is your problem.

I have a Greddy Profec B on my twin turbo Z28 and it works flawlessly. I tried the SBC ID for a short period of time and experienced problems that were very similar to yours.