Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Cam and Gear Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam and Gear Questions...

I have a 228/224 Comp Cam XER. How would this cam fare with a D1SC? I was not considering SC so I put the duration on the int. side to assist my stock heads. It worked well, but I don't know how this would affect FI.
Would I need a new cam?

Also- How would my steep gears (4.30) work with a D1SC?
Old 07-16-2003, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Cam and Gear Questions...

Your cam profile is the exact opposite of what a supercharged engine would benefit from. The duration and lift numbers are reversed. Also, if you look at the peak HP and TQ for that cam, they probably crest at over 6800RPMs. Unless you plan on spinning your motor that high (not recommended for a stock bottom end with boost), then you might as well switch cams. I would pick a smaller cam with a "blower" profile, run less engine RPMs, and crank the boost up a little. Run plenty of octane and get a good tune and you should be fine (for a while).

As far as the gears, since you have a centrifugal blower like me, low rear-end gears (numerically higher) will help spin the engine (and hence the impeller) up to the high RPMs quicker. But if you spin up too fast you'll spend such a short time in the high RPM range that you'll spend more time shifting than enjoying acceleration. Unless you have an automatic, I think 4.30s might be a bit too much. Go with 3.73's or 4.10's.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:55 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Traditional cam theory would say that cam is not right for a blown car. It would be up to you to make a switch.

Those are big gears but a 28" tire cures some of that.
Old 07-19-2003, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I figured as much, but I agree with Prostockjohn- the gear can always be cured with taller tire. Thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply: Cam and Gear Questions...