Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

changing procharger bypass to vent to atmosphere

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 07:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default changing procharger bypass to vent to atmosphere

as it sits, the bypass valve vents into the blower hat. i has thinking about putting a filter after the bypass valve so that it vents out the filter and then plug the blower hat.

i was thinking about doing this for two reasons, make room for a bigger filter for the blower and so that the bypass valve would sound louder (yeah its kinda ricerish but i dont really care)

if this is a dumb idea, say it.

also, should i need to tune after this???
Old 02-26-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 02NBMFormula
as it sits, the bypass valve vents into the blower hat. i has thinking about putting a filter after the bypass valve so that it vents out the filter and then plug the blower hat.

i was thinking about doing this for two reasons, make room for a bigger filter for the blower and so that the bypass valve would sound louder (yeah its kinda ricerish but i dont really care)

if this is a dumb idea, say it.

also, should i need to tune after this???

I love mine...

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i8...h/PICT0414.jpg

Sounds like a lear jet at part throttle... pretty nuts. mines vented to atmosphere as seen...and I drive it daily like that. Seals up quick.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like a filter on them. I believe there are times when air will enter through there and wouldn't want it unprotected. Also sure as **** I'd manage to drop something in there if it was open...

Jim
Old 02-26-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DeltaT
I like a filter on them. I believe there are times when air will enter through there and wouldn't want it unprotected. Also sure as **** I'd manage to drop something in there if it was open...

Jim
KP has already stated that this is not so... Even at idle it's blowing hard enough to keep dirt out of there..
Old 02-26-2008, 10:55 PM
Restricted User

I am using the Black updated procharger blow off valve on my 01 SS , D1-sc , vented to atmosphere, with a breather-filter on the end of it, I picked up the breather at a speed shop, eazy to find, and pluged off the intake hat with a rubber plug from home depot, and clamped it on, the plug is in the plumbing section and i think its a 1.5 or 2" black rubber plug.

It works good, but makes a LOT! or air rushing noise, almost that the procharger BOV cant handle the D1-sc, i think i might weld up another port to the passenger side boost pipe befor the intercooler and add another procharger blow off valve, i think 2 of them will do the job,

*Defently fit a breather-filter at the end of the BOV, Vette doctors recomended it to me!
Old 02-26-2008, 11:03 PM
11 Second Club

im going to try this tomorrow, just got to find the parts
Old 02-27-2008, 01:11 AM
TECH Addict

Even at idle it's blowing hard enough to keep dirt out of there
I think if you were deccelerating and then went WOT the bypass could reverse flow for a split second. I just don't like the idea of an unguarded opening to my expensive motor, ever. If you want to take the chance...

Jim
Old 02-27-2008, 05:48 AM
TECH Resident

I will be venting mine to the atmosphere with a filter on the end of the Pro-Flo BPV. I will also be running a small breather filter on the intake hat return bung to allow a little more air flow as opposed to plugging it off.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

I will also be running a small breather filter on the intake hat return bung to allow a little more air flow as opposed to plugging it off.
Do you have a picture - I'm not sure what you mean.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 02-27-2008, 12:00 PM
11 Second Club

i shouldnt need to adjust the tune any should i?
Old 02-27-2008, 12:51 PM
11 Second Club

It will not work right running a MAF. 2 Bar Speed density it works great.
Even though it is before the MAF it made my car really rich at idle.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:59 PM
Restricted User

i am only running the black procharger pro flow valve, under the car , with twin intercooler set up, i was thinking on adding another pro flow valve on the other side, next to the passenger side intercooler,

seems like my car runs very rich too!
Old 07-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
I love mine...

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i8...h/PICT0414.jpg

Sounds like a lear jet at part throttle... pretty nuts. mines vented to atmosphere as seen...and I drive it daily like that. Seals up quick.

What kind of bypass is that. Does it use the same hose that goes from the pipe to the hat?
Old 07-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GMLIFER
What kind of bypass is that. Does it use the same hose that goes from the pipe to the hat?
looks like a vortech
Old 06-16-2013, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DeltaT
I think if you were deccelerating and then went WOT the bypass could reverse flow for a split second. I just don't like the idea of an unguarded opening to my expensive motor, ever. If you want to take the chance...

Jim
Agreed...I don't care if it's blowing 40mph out of the port at idle, I'm putting some sort of filter on there!

I'm going to go with the "atmosphere" route myself during the install. In addition, I'm thinking about threading the discharge end of the pro-flow and making a "velocity stack" type cap for it with a screen in the center. Screen for protection, velocity stack profile for a nice whistle during idle - and hopefully an aggressive pssssssssssssssssssssssst during shifts. I'll have to experiment and see what happens!

Quick Reply: changing procharger bypass to vent to atmosphere