Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Where to get Methanol?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

-40 degree washer fluid is supposed to work great. You can plumb the pump into the stock washer res and have a factory low warning light
Old 04-13-2008, 03:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CHRISPY
-40 degree washer fluid is supposed to work great. You can plumb the pump into the stock washer res and have a factory low warning light
I was scoping out some -40 today but not so keen on the idea of putting in detergents into my brand new forged engine? I will however be using my stock washer tank though, thats a plus to have the factory low warning light. I wish I could just find some staright meth somewhere, otherwise it will be windshield fluid for this guy.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:41 AM
On The Tree

Get a 5 gal pail of VP M1 [7$ A GALLON } I have a Razors kit and your not suppost to use any lube or even use a funnel that had gas run through it or put it in a used gas can it will kill the pump.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:39 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Websy21
I was scoping out some -40 today but not so keen on the idea of putting in detergents into my brand new forged engine? I will however be using my stock washer tank though, thats a plus to have the factory low warning light. I wish I could just find some staright meth somewhere, otherwise it will be windshield fluid for this guy.

uhhhhh what factory low warning light? doh!
Old 04-13-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Frost
uhhhhh what factory low warning light? doh!
There's got to be one, I've never had it come on but most vehicles have them. I've never ran it that low before! Cheking out Home Depot today!
Old 04-13-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

There's got to be one, I've never had it come on but most vehicles have them. I've never ran it that low before! Cheking out Home Depot today!
I don't think F-body's came with a low WW warning light. At least none of the ones I have been in have.

As for using WW fluid instead of methanol, people have done it, and I'm sure you could as well, but why use it, when just getting regular methanol is already dirt cheep? So you spend $2.49 a gallon instead of $1.99 a gallon of WW fluid. Is 50 cents really worth running something that was not meant to be ran through your motor? It may be worth it to you, but I'll stick with running what all the methanol injection companies reccomend (methanol mixed with water, and pure methanol).
Old 04-13-2008, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CALL911
I don't think F-body's came with a low WW warning light. At least none of the ones I have been in have.

As for using WW fluid instead of methanol, people have done it, and I'm sure you could as well, but why use it, when just getting regular methanol is already dirt cheep? So you spend $2.49 a gallon instead of $1.99 a gallon of WW fluid. Is 50 cents really worth running something that was not meant to be ran through your motor? It may be worth it to you, but I'll stick with running what all the methanol injection companies reccomend (methanol mixed with water, and pure methanol).
I hear ya bro but not everyone has the luxury of walking down the street and getting some. No speed shops here, might be a bit tough. Washer fluid without detergents sounds like water/meth to me, not? As long as you keep it the same brand I think the sky will stay the same colour.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

I hear ya bro but not everyone has the luxury of walking down the street and getting some. No speed shops here, might be a bit tough. Washer fluid without detergents sounds like water/meth to me, not? As long as you keep it the same brand I think the sky will stay the same colour.
You may not have it in abundance as you would WW fluid, however it can be ordered and delivered everywhere, and may be more previlant than you think as its also used by numerous farmers, and farmer suppliers as well. Someone even said they get theirs at their local Home Depot store.

Like I said, people have done it, but when its pretty much the same price just to get what you know is what is supposed to be used, why risk it for the small hassle it is to pick up the phone and have it delivered to your house? They can sell it in 55 gallon drums, so its not like you'll be ordering more every week. Heck, I beat the snot out of my car last year and only went through 7 gallons of my water/meth mix. So basically, I only used 3.5 gallons of methanol.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Called Speedway race fuels here in phoenix and the guy at the shop quoted me $2 a gallon and thats if I buy ten gallons. Seems like a great price. Very nice people over there. Thanks to the member who posted the links of businesses that carry methanol!
Old 12-16-2009, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

No problem
Old 12-16-2009, 04:39 PM

There is a great thread titled "How Much Are You Paying For Methanol" in here too that has some great info.

Long story short, its almost everywhere.

-20F. (blue in color) windshield washer fluid is generally 33% methanol and works great. Once you get past -20F. fluid it usually is not blue and will contain other chemicals that you really don't want to be running through your motor. Most windshield washer fluid that is -20F. lists methanol as "Methyl Hydrate", a different name for methanol.

I have run over 80 gallons of -20F. windshield through my motor in less than a year and had no problems at all.

Edit: That is not a typo. It's being used to keep a very beat up 4L Jeep engine cool while off-roading. We basically see how much we can get away with before it quenches. the reults are pretty surprising LOL.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:28 PM
TECH Regular

goodies speed shop in santa clara .

but Ramos oil . jesus 5 gal for 6 dollars THATAS a deal n a half . Avengeance. where do you exactly live ?
Old 12-16-2009, 06:55 PM
12 Second Club

Anyone have any ideas of how to extract the methanol from windshield washer fluid? At work we get it in a 200 gallon drum and its free to me but i would be concerned with the low methanol content. I was trying to think of a way to separate the methanol from the water. According to the msds at work its 22% methanol and 78% water.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

For how inexpensive methanol is, I find it almost comical people still try to use windshield washer fluid. Yeah, it works, but its not really ideally mixed for performance.

I guess you can get away with saving more if people would just run 87 octane instead of 93 as well... (perhaps going a little too far, as the effects from running regular vs premium are much worse that running washer fluid instead of methanol).

I spent $10 on 5 gallons. I mix my meth with water (50:50 mix ratio). That $10 of meth held 10 gallons of water/meth mix and has lasted me a long time (my car doesn't guzzle the meth as some cars). I guess it just depends on how much you go through, and how cheep you are. IMO, most people that get to the point with their cars, at which they could benefit from meth injection can easily afford how inexpensive actual meth is.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TurboZ28408
goodies speed shop in santa clara .

but Ramos oil . jesus 5 gal for 6 dollars THATAS a deal n a half . Avengeance. where do you exactly live ?
LOL.... 5 gallons for $6/gallon. About $30 for a 5gal drum.

I live in Dixon... small town about 20 miles west of Sacramento.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Avengeance
LOL.... 5 gallons for $6/gallon. About $30 for a 5gal drum.

I live in Dixon... small town about 20 miles west of Sacramento.
'

oh .. thats normal .. thats how much it is here in san jose also
Old 12-18-2009, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jditlfm
Anyone have any ideas of how to extract the methanol from windshield washer fluid? At work we get it in a 200 gallon drum and its free to me but i would be concerned with the low methanol content. I was trying to think of a way to separate the methanol from the water. According to the msds at work its 22% methanol and 78% water.

Alcohol and water naturally mix together homogenously, so its very hard to separate them. Whats very easy however, it adding more methanol. If you take one gallon of that fluid, and add 36OZ of methanol, you end up with 1.3 gallons of fluid that is right about 44% methanol
Old 12-18-2009, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by CALL911
For how inexpensive methanol is, I find it almost comical people still try to use windshield washer fluid. Yeah, it works, but its not really ideally mixed for performance.

I guess you can get away with saving more if people would just run 87 octane instead of 93 as well... (perhaps going a little too far, as the effects from running regular vs premium are much worse that running washer fluid instead of methanol).

I spent $10 on 5 gallons. I mix my meth with water (50:50 mix ratio). That $10 of meth held 10 gallons of water/meth mix and has lasted me a long time (my car doesn't guzzle the meth as some cars). I guess it just depends on how much you go through, and how cheep you are. IMO, most people that get to the point with their cars, at which they could benefit from meth injection can easily afford how inexpensive actual meth is.
Ture, methanol is very affordable if you know where to look. At the same time, a lot of people are running systems as an insurance policy against bad gas. And a 30% concentration of methanol is more than sufficient to do that. We have many customers with just a bit too much compression, and previously ran octane booster. They often find that plain water will take care of the detonation just fine and let them add in some timing if they wish.

No doubt mixing your own fluid is usualy the best route, but for a ton of people, washer fluid works just fine, and its all over the place at 2 dollars a gallon with no mixing required.

Quick Reply: Where to get Methanol?