Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

custom kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 06:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

frcefed98 would YOU like to include my pictures on how to make the flange thingy? now that i know how to make one it's so easy but when i was searching i only got links to people that bought them already made!
Old 03-27-2008, 07:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by reject
frcefed98 would YOU like to include my pictures on how to make the flange thingy? now that i know how to make one it's so easy but when i was searching i only got links to people that bought them already made!
What, our pics arent good enough for you?!?!?!

Sean
Old 03-27-2008, 07:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ttranssam
wow sideways240sx, that was a long *** read. the car came out super nice the ONLY thing i would have done is have all the hot pipes would have been a little smother but your welds look great for a first timer, ive been weldin a long time and trust me your good. if you dont mind me askin how much for everything?

With the hot pipes, we could of ground down the welds and made them look better, but we wanted to make sure there strong, and dont want it to crack.

Our welding ability even in the last couple of weeks has gotten way better. Once the car is done i plan on learning to mig alot better, but right now all my free time is working on the car.

If we remade the kit right now, and scrapped what we had we could do it better. Again we learned alot, it turned out really good for a first timer's and i cant wait to get it on the dyno. When we redo it nicer i will probably use stainless instead of mild, and it will all get ceramic coating.

As far as everything goes it is really hard to say. I did alot more then needed to be done. I spent more in places i didn't need to.

Without tools, welder, and other suspension stuff/ radiator stuff, and stuff that was not needed for turbo but i did anyway i would say probably 4-4500 for everything turbo + fuel stuff.

I need to get it tuned, and get some tires, and i will probably end up somewhere around 7k.(including tools, welder, mapp torch welding tank, argon c02, wire, welding hood yada yada)...

Chris
Old 03-27-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

man i would love to to my own kit but i dont know how fabricate!
Old 03-27-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by reject
nothing special, was a bunch of hand forming with a flange, clamps, heat, hammer and a set of vice grips for flattening the pipe to flange areas nice and smooth.

Came out real nice both times. I'll see if I can find a pic of the after...because we didn't take any during the process, just had a job to get done

As for you submitting pics, I'm open to anyone wanting to submit their DIY pics to the truck manifold post so if you want to shoot some to me feel free
Old 03-27-2008, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also any more pics saultyshuggerss any more pics???
I Have a few more pics but im not to far into the build havent worked on it much in the last 2 days i have a couple pics posted in the stand up radiator thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/695288-those-who-moved-radiator-up-verticle-here.html
Old 03-27-2008, 08:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 383lt1impala
man i would love to to my own kit but i dont know how fabricate!
We didnt know how to either, untill we just did it.

Sean
Old 03-27-2008, 08:46 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Broke EF
We didnt know how to either, untill we just did it.

Sean
Pretty much. All we ever did before was buy stuff and bolt it in. We had put in motors/trans and stuff, but never really made anything custom.

Its definatly time consuming, but with the right tools, not all that difficult.

Chris
Old 03-27-2008, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

man you gotta get it dynod im dying to find out? dose any one kno how much the length matters on the header to turbo? like tuned length, or is it still the heat and volume rule?
Old 03-27-2008, 10:10 PM
9 Second Club

man you gotta get it dynod im dying to find out? dose any one kno how much the length matters on the header to turbo? like tuned length, or is it still the heat and volume rule?
Are you talking about the manifold itself? if so in most cases a equal length manifold doesn't really matter that much, and alot of times spool slower then a log style manifold.(the truck manifold is almost perfect for a turbo app, but can obviously be improved upon)

As far as piping from mani to turbo, i would try to make it as close as possible, but it doesn't have to be exact. Make it the shortest distance you can. Shorter piping is less restriction which is better spool up.

In a twin setup i could see the piping mattering alot more because unless your building the car to have 1 turbo spool right away, and the other a little later you would want the piping equal lengths.

Chris
Old 03-27-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Starting mine custom set up tomorrow.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea im talking about hanging the turbo a little more to the left/right where the pipe would be longer
Old 04-13-2008, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

some updated pics of my build Thinkin bout starting my own thread let me know what u think

Old 04-13-2008, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

I Did some painting and changed my rad support since the last post
Old 04-14-2008, 03:42 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome, very clean looking. You should indeed start a thread.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sideways240sx
With the hot pipes, we could of ground down the welds and made them look better, but we wanted to make sure there strong, and dont want it to crack.

Our welding ability even in the last couple of weeks has gotten way better. Once the car is done i plan on learning to mig alot better, but right now all my free time is working on the car.

If we remade the kit right now, and scrapped what we had we could do it better. Again we learned alot, it turned out really good for a first timer's and i cant wait to get it on the dyno. When we redo it nicer i will probably use stainless instead of mild, and it will all get ceramic coating.

As far as everything goes it is really hard to say. I did alot more then needed to be done. I spent more in places i didn't need to.

Without tools, welder, and other suspension stuff/ radiator stuff, and stuff that was not needed for turbo but i did anyway i would say probably 4-4500 for everything turbo + fuel stuff.

I need to get it tuned, and get some tires, and i will probably end up somewhere around 7k.(including tools, welder, mapp torch welding tank, argon c02, wire, welding hood yada yada)...

Chris

If you did decide to scrap it I would love to take that "junk" off your hands
Old 04-15-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Resident

wow thats nice
Old 04-16-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

mman that looks clean, i like the color, you gotta start one, keep it updated too. it looks good

Quick Reply: custom kit?