Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

turbo question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 07:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default turbo question

i am in the working on a turbo project and was hoping some one might be able to help with a question. I have a new gt42r turbo that has provisions for coolant, I am planning on using it in a rear mount application. do I have to run coolant lines to this turbo or can I block off the passages and not cause damage to the turbo? Im just looking for ease of installlation,or should I buy another turbo?
Old 03-27-2008, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran into the same question .. called a few shops and was told that you could run it without coolant especially in a rear mount setup. But it would likely shorten the life of the turbo. I chose to go with a precision unit because it didn't need coolant lines and I also didnt want to run them all the way to the back of the car.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

Garretts ball bearing "R" turbos are water cooled and oil lubricated. Some have run them with no coolant but I would never suggest it. If you run the GT4294 or 4202 journal bearing turbo they dont have coolant lines cause they are oil lubricated and cooled. The precision unit is also journal bearing so the same applies.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys that was the feedback i was looking for.I think i will just get another turbo and sell this one while its new.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

ALL turbos are oil cooled. The only difference with a water cooled turbo is the extra passageways for the water. These type of setups have no need for water cooling, cuz they don't run in boost long enough to cause any kind of heat issue. It's not like its a diesel where you could be at a high boost for long periods of time. I would not think twice about using a water cooled turbo w/out the water in something like this.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:23 PM
Teching In

Garret ball-bearing turbos, from what ive been told, should not see more than 10-15psi of oil pressure, whereas journal bearing turbos needs somewhere in the range of 45-60psi. In standard bearing applications, 45-60 psi of oil flowing through the center cection cools it enough so that water lines are not needed. As someone else stated, oil is only a lubricant in a BB turbo which is why water is added for cooling. I also would not run a BB turbo w/o coolant, unless is was a drag car that saw no street use.

Last edited by AMSwill; 04-16-2008 at 06:25 AM.