Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

need Help with turbo setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 09:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need Help with turbo setup

Hi guys all my specks are in my old sig I just dont remember my password. so i have a 99 Z28 with the sts setup with a 76mm turbo. I'm having problems with the oiling system. I have a slp oil pump on the car and at idel the car is at 50 to 55 oil presser, the problem is I dont think my scavage pump is pumping the oil back good enough an it blew the seals out of the turbo. do those pumps get weak over time? is anyone using an aftermarket pumps or are there any other options I could go with?
Old 04-25-2008, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

My buddy had to go to a big dollar Weldon pump with the same setup.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:14 PM
Teching In

The shop I have it at now we talked an that was an option to go with that pump. so we called weldon an they told us that the continus use that the pump would haft to handel. they dont think there pump will hold up. how dose he have his setup? did he haft to put a 1 gal cell in the back an run the oil to that?
Old 04-25-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

The car only had like 75 street miles and some dyno pulls. The tuner destroyed the motor and then it got taken apart to go to a front-mount setup.

It ran fine for him though for the limited time he drove it.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jerred p
Hi guys all my specks are in my old sig I just dont remember my password. so i have a 99 Z28 with the sts setup with a 76mm turbo. I'm having problems with the oiling system. I have a slp oil pump on the car and at idel the car is at 50 to 55 oil presser, the problem is I dont think my scavage pump is pumping the oil back good enough an it blew the seals out of the turbo. do those pumps get weak over time? is anyone using an aftermarket pumps or are there any other options I could go with?
There are a couple ways to help your prob. 1st is the restrictor checkvalve (located on the inlet of the turbine from the oil feed.) Make sure it's not sticking open. If good, you can go to a smaller restrictor. This will offset the increased oil pressure from the oil volume engine pump. Another fix is to search for a Mocal pump. Heard good things from people that have used them in place of the STS supplied pump.

Concerning seals, unless the 76 differs from the 60 and 67 there are no seals for the oil. Rings similiar to whats on a piston are mounted to the impeller shafts and hold the oil in the casing. Too much pressure and the oil gets pushed past the rings.....thus oil in the intake and exhaust. Which brings up the final point. If the oil pressure is too high you should be seeing it in the exhaust AND the intake pipes.

Once you get the prob fixed you'll have to clean the intake piping w/ a rag (which is a PITA....done it 2x myself). If you don't, oil vapor will get on the MAF and IAT and screw the readings up. PCM then overcompensates for the jacked up values resulting in the car runing weak.

Good luck
Old 04-26-2008, 09:12 AM
Teching In

Ok thanks ill look that pump up. yea when I start up the car oil blows out of the exhaust.

Quick Reply: need Help with turbo setup