Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Bypass or BOV better for Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bypass or BOV better for Turbo?

Any disadvantage of running a Bypass valve with a turbo instead of a Blow Off Valve? I was thinking of using a Vortech Race Bypass valve in a single front mount system. A bypass valve will stay open and recirculate the boost till the vacumn drops below 3-4". On a Supercharged application, it helps reduce the load on the engine while cruising. I was wondering since a Blow Off Valve stays closed till it has to "burp" the system when you slam the throttle body closed, does it make the system more efficient/responsive during normal driving? Pretty much a the aftermarket kits use a BOV but all the OEM systems use 1/2 Bypass valves. I also like that fact that the bypass valve gets rid of the BOV fart that you hear so often (mostly on rice Rockets).

Thanks, Rick
Old 04-26-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any idea fella's? I need to know I should be shopping for a Tial 50mm BOV or just run my Vortech Race bypass.

thanks, Rick
Old 04-27-2008, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a bypass valve on my mustang and then switched to a regular bov and the thhrottle response and performance was so much better with the regular bov. you actually lose performance down low when you are barely making boost because of the bypass allowing it to ...bypass when you are at mid or lower throttle. i would definitely go with the bov
Old 04-27-2008, 11:40 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ Are you sure you had the BPV adjusted correctly? You should not be losing any boost with a BPV vs a BOV...