Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

370 FI cam...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 12:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default 370 FI cam...?

I know the LPE GT2-3 is a popular choice for a 346...207/220 118.5, and I had one in my first SS which was N/A. I liked that it gave the extra power but idled like stock.

But what about on a 370 ci FI engine? I would like something that is going to idle like stock but comes on strong from 3000-6000. I'd think the LSA should remain around 116 and I would like lift limited to .590".

My main concern is drivability. Power past 6300 is not necessary, I'd rather have a nice broad lower powerband.

Let's hear some options.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most will idle like stock cause of the lsa, i would get a custom ground cam, vengence made my friends and his setup rocks!
Old 04-27-2008, 05:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The gt2-3 with maybe 1.8 rockers would give the lift and still idle nice.
They use them in engines pretty sure to over 400 . The new gt7 is their new FI grind also listed to pretty much any size engine. I am trying one as got it cheap. I also don't want lift too high as don't want to have to change out springs every 20,000 miles and don't want to be anywhere close to valve floating problems as FI tend to give. I was considering 1.8 rockers on my gt7 for a bit more lift. Not sure if those cams are ok with the bigger rockers but we have ling guy on the board again so I will maybe pm him and see what he says. Have to order them right away.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn man are you marketing their cams, thats all you post about, LOL

Don't run that cam with 1.8 rockers, absolute waste of money. Stockers are more than fine and you can get a way better cam. Its really best to sit down and talk to a sponsor or vendor that has extensive experience with this. If they don't ask for complete spec's on EVERYTHING, go elsewhere. Tell them what you want it to do and what your entire setup consists of. I'd say run dual springs, high .59x lifts, duration in mid to high 22x's and lsa 114-115. In the 370 it will idel very nice and have a nice power band.

Rememeber though that a cam has to be tailored to the entire system, just not engine but drivetrain too, etc, etc. I got comp to spec mine and the more research I did on them the more I think they REALLY know there ****. They aren't the only one's on here though. Just don't let the big is better croud try to persue you. Especially in your case. BTW, my basic suggestion was very close to what comp spec'd for my turbo 370. Good luck, no matter what cam you get you'll be happy. I spent weeks alone talking to sponsors and first hand customers about a cam for FI. If its a blower its a bit easier than if its a turbo, either way let someone who knows there **** really well take care of you!
Old 04-27-2008, 05:31 PM
TECH Veteran

No web don't work for lingenfelter and have posted how similar the gt2-3 and gt7 are to z06 cams. Just so far am hearing all these cam theories and have not yet found any real independent dyno testing with same engine and various theories tested. We have reverse split ,standard spit and normal proponents. Pretty much everyone knows more lift is better but downside is more frequent spring changes and possible valve float under boost especially. And higher lsa are nice for guys like me that have no interest in a lopey cam in this car. If I want lope I drive my 80 ta with big lopey cam. So mostly the arguements are back to which split and how much of a split. So lets see some actual dynos from high tech mag or something like that.
The only thing that I know for sure is it seems pretty much any cam can make decent power under boost. Even stock cams .

I just figure it he still had his gt2-3 with some bigger rockers it would be close to his lift specs.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No, the GT2-3 was sold about 4 years ago. I have a set of HS rebuilt stock rockers that I intend to use. I feel they are the best you can get for the money you spend. The only downfall of stock rockers is the bearings, and now that's been solved. I also have a set of Caddy lifters I will use, I haven't heard of enough problems to deter me from using them. For valvesprings, I'm looking at the PACs with titanuim retainers. I'd like the valvetrain to be as light as possible. I'm not sold on dual springs, and yes, I realize the valvesprings have an extra load from the boost pressure.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Veteran

I am going to run maybe 1.8 rockers with the gt7. Yella terras. Running 8019 dual springs already in my afr 225s. Going with ls7 lifters good enough for me and cheap also. I like double springs ,if a spring breaks less chance of dropping a valve and doing much worse damage. I think going to 600 or so is ok lift but think past that you will be looking at pretty frequent spring changes.No fun at all on the fourth gens with engines under the cowl. Been there a few times not into that anymore.

I debate whether a custom cam will actually make much more power on a FI application than a z06 cam or even the gt2-3 or gt7. I have not seen any dyno tests of various cams on same engine by independent sources and its hard to say with turbos since almost any turbo can make big power. You would need to use same engine exactly to see what the differences were. As said wish high tech would do this with like 9 cams. If didn't have the ling cam already likely would run the same spec z06 cam. My current cam might work good too. 221/221/558/558/114 lsa. At the time when got it ,it was supposed to be a good recommendation for N20 or supercharger.
Good news is ls1 cams are pretty easy to change if you have to. ONCE THE DAMN VALVE SPRINGS ARE ON THE HEADS. And cut those damn sharp razor things under the cowel off before you even try to do springs on the ls1 cars! Best tip I can give a person. And on the 99 cars throw away the back couple coil pack bolts on the passenger side.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:54 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like my ZO6 cam and you can find them cheap if money is tight