Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Alky Kit Question...Nozzle placement

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 09:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alky Kit Question...Nozzle placement

I'm finishing up the install of my ECS (alky control) kit (and procharger at the same time). I'm not sure where the best place to mount my nozzle is. There isn't much room after the maf...and there isn't a lot of room before the edge of the TB (Marked with a sharpie, hard to see). The best location to me is prob where the clamp is, but I'm pretty sure the nozzle threads aren't long enough to go through the rubber and the pipe both. Any help or opinions would be appreciated.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:20 AM
TECH Regular

why not just drill and tap your MAF right near the 1" mark on your tape measure. looks like to only place left...
Old 05-13-2008, 12:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dman
why not just drill and tap your MAF right near the 1" mark on your tape measure. looks like to only place left...
Yeah, I'm thinking I may have to drill right at the 1 1/2 inch mark. Right before the rubber coupler. I just don't want it spraying on the MAF sensor and F'ing things up.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

8cm mark...
Old 05-13-2008, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

loose the MAF and mount the jet and IAT sensor in an ali or stainless piece of pipe in its place.

Tune it in Sd (mafless)
Old 05-14-2008, 06:22 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ideally you want to have the nozzle upstream of the IAT sensors about 3 to 4 inches so that the methanol can disperse evenly and the IAT sensor can read the change in temperature the methanol caused. If you have the nozzle after the IAT sensor, then you are going to be guess on the results and that is never good.

Keith
Old 05-14-2008, 07:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ls1290
Ideally you want to have the nozzle upstream of the IAT sensors about 3 to 4 inches so that the methanol can disperse evenly and the IAT sensor can read the change in temperature the methanol caused. If you have the nozzle after the IAT sensor, then you are going to be guess on the results and that is never good.

Keith
Yeah, I'm going to have to make a setup like Mr. Big has and do some pipe cutting or buy new pipe. The IAT sensor will have to be relocated since it's part of the MAF. I plan on doing that next. I just wanted to get the car running for now.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:18 AM
AIS
Banned

Here's what we have found to work well. Depending on what mass air your using and what year intake your running. You can simply have a short piece of pipe cut and if needed stretched if one end is larger then the other. Muffler shops are a perfect place to have this done at. Shown below is an example of this in which a customer had to do the same. With anything over 650 horsepower we run dual nozzles to avoid running one large nozzle for better atomization and absorption.

Also, if your looking to disable your factory IAT sensor in your mas and run a separate IAT further down stream, we now have a complete plug and play wiring harness which will allow you to disconnect your factory wiring harness from your MAF allowing you to plug our relocation into the MAF and the factory harness with a separate lead going to the new weather pack IAT connector and IAT sensor. Our IAT relocation kits are $89.99

Old 05-20-2008, 10:52 AM
Teching In

(Posted this on the vette forum too)
I was thinking of just taking the procharger tube and cutting it into 4 pieces (It's one long metal tube from the TB to Intercooler with the metal MAF housing welded into the pipe). Making one 90 degree tube coming off the intercooler, one straight tube, one straight tube with the MAF housing in it and one straight tube to go on the throttle body. Hook it all together with silicone couplers. Then just move pieces around to move the maf toward the intercooler and mount the nozzle in the metal pipe and put an IAT sensor in somehwere. Only thing is, the pipes won't have a bead on them. But I may be able to find someone to do it, or even weld a bead on...although I may not even need it.
I'll probably use exactly what you posted above for the IAT sensor...though I'm not sure where to put the IAT in. I'm guessing that rubber plug is for the sensor to fit into. How big of a hole needs to be made for it to fit, and how far into a pipe would it go if I mounted it inside of the before mentioned metal pipe? I have the stock 08 C6 intake and it doesn't have a place for an IAT sensor (as far as I know).
Old 05-20-2008, 01:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Weld a bung on the pipe and get a Buick Grand National IAT sensor and thread it into the bung. That is what I did on my car.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedracer5532
Weld a bung on the pipe and get a Buick Grand National IAT sensor and thread it into the bung. That is what I did on my car.

Or one for a typhoon and/or cyclone I think, this is what I bought and will be doing and others have done as well.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Teching In

Happen to have the part number for the sensor? And what type threads (for the bung).

Would an MSD sensor work from summit? Like this one: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Thanks for the info!
Old 05-20-2008, 05:10 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by spectreWV
Happen to have the part number for the sensor? And what type threads (for the bung).

Would an MSD sensor work from summit? Like this one: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Thanks for the info!
SU107 at autozone , its 3/8s npt
Old 05-21-2008, 09:19 AM
Teching In

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Alky Kit Question...Nozzle placement