Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Tubing Size?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tubing Size?

I'm thinking about trying to make some new hot pipes for my truck since I have a plugwire burning issue. I also want to fab new pipes because I feel my log design has left some power on the table. With that being said I'm going to try to use the stock manifolds and route the uppipe to the existing turbo location. Not sure if it will even fit but I'm gonna give it a try. Now for my question about the tubing size. Is 2.5" ok for the uppipe or would 3" be better? It seems like having both 2.5" flows in to 1 2.5" flow would have too much back pressure. I understand it will keep the velocity up, but increase the backpressure.

Thanks Jason
Old 07-24-2008, 07:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your turbo is the biggest restriction in the exhaust system,that is where you get the backpressure,i would run a 2 1/4 pipe on there,i've made 2000hp with 2 1/2 pipes,so i think that might be overkill for your application
Old 07-26-2008, 12:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly as shawn stated, the turbo is the biggest restriction to flow so you can go with a smaller size pipe. I run a 2" feed pipe to a Garrett TV7512 aka Thumper T76. It spools up by 3200 and pulls hard all the way to 6900. This is on a 4.5 liter engine running 6 psi. On your setup, a 2.25" feed pipe should be more than enough.

Quick Reply: Tubing Size?