Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

turbo specs

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default turbo specs

I wanted to know what single turbo specs people are running. Going to be puting a single on my ls1 powered kit car. I was thinking about using a turbonetics

T72 ,p trim,.81 a/r

Looks to be pretty efficent around 7-10psi, which is what I plan on running. Any thoughts?

mark
Old 09-02-2003, 10:20 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: turbo specs

is this for a custom kit? I wonder if it is a bolt on for a turbotech or QMP kit.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

Yes my application is going to be custom. My ultima is a mid engine car and I want the turbo behind the engine, not infront of it like the ls1 turbo kits.

most turbo kits use standard mounting flangs, but if the size is different it may not fit or line up with the exhaust down pipe.

mark
Old 09-02-2003, 11:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ultima GTR? that would be an unforgiving beast at 6 psi..let alone 10..

Good GOD!

U obviously are well off..otherwise i'd just advise a 150 shot..

i must ask..how much did the car cost without any building fees but counting shipping ect ect.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

well off, I wish. I'll be paying for this project for ever.

I will probably start off with 6 or 7 psi on the stock bottom end. Looking for around 450-500 rwhp. Once it dies I'll beef it up and run 10-12. I just want to make sure I get a turbo that can grow if the car.

I am going turbo only because the exhaust has to be custom made anyway. Adding a turbo flange and waste gate mounting doesn't really add much to the price. I though about 150 shot because but there isn't any good place to mount the bottle.

Cost of the car really depends on how you build it. If you go carbs and a stock used tranny you could probably build it for 55-60. I got about 67 in mine right now. Only major things left to buy are the exhaust, turbo, IC, oil cooler supplies to paint it. I have a running total of the cost of my site if you are really interested

http://www.markkoch.net/canamMain.asp then select the cost button.

mark
Old 09-03-2003, 10:41 AM
Launching!

http://www.smokemup.com/auto_math/turbo_size.php

Should help looking at the turbo maps.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

umm sorry to stay off topic, but are u pleased with the GTR? handling so on and so on?

I see u are in MD, where i will soon move to..how are the emission testing over there. i will be in Bowie, in Prince george's.

how much did that 5% tax run u?
Old 09-05-2003, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

That might spool a little slow on a stick car. My buddy had a 72 on his GN and hated it. He switched to a TE-63 from Precision and said it was like getting a new car. There both good turbo's, though.

-Geoff
Old 09-05-2003, 03:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

You have to remember that in a GN he's trying to spool a T72 with ~75% the volume of air that you'll have in an LS1.

I assuming if this car is going to the track it's going to one of those crazy tracks with turns, and elevation changes and what not (read: not the 1/4 mile). In which case, you're probably going to be up at full boost for the majority...if not all...of your hot-lapping.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

umm sorry to stay off topic, but are u pleased with the GTR? handling so on and so on?

I see u are in MD, where i will soon move to..how are the emission testing over there. i will be in Bowie, in Prince george's.

how much did that 5% tax run u?
my canam (topless gtr) is still being built. I hope to finish it this winter, if I have time.

From other owners the handling is great. The car is built from the ground up to be a super car. for the money it's hard to beat the performance. I'll be looking at 500+ hp in a 2000 pound car.

MD has pretty strick emmissions restrictions, they also base it off the frame year not the engine block, so putting and old motor is doesn't do you any good. Looking for loop holes at the moment. If I have to pass 2004 emissions it will require cats + other bs.

I haven't paid the 5% sales tax, but it will be 5% of the total build cost. Which sucks considering I already had to pay import taxes on every part that came from the UK.

mark
Old 09-10-2003, 02:56 AM
TECH Addict

sorry to be off subject, but Mark I checked out your site. That car is going to be FUN! I think it is funny to just one day get a package dropped off in front of your garage that weighs 2000lbs Good Luck with it man!

Quick Reply: turbo specs