Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

How to trace an EVAP leak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to trace an EVAP leak?

Well ever since installing the procharger, the car will smell like gas if left in a garage over night. Not so noticable when parked outside. But within an hour in an inclosed area and there is no doubt about that oder. Lately I have been seeing SES lights. "PO442 EVAP System Small Leak Detected". So I'm guessing that is the cause of my smell.

When installing the fuel system I broke the tab that holds the EVAP lock in place. I'm referring to the small black plastic canister found by the front passenger side fuel rail. There is a tube from that canister to the Throttle body. The white clip that holds that tube to the TB is what I'm referring to. The clip itself is still there, and as far as I know, still holding the tube properly. I snapped off the bottom part of that clip that locks it in place. Does this sound like my issue?

I've heard there is a canister upfront somewhere(I think close to one of my intercoolers). I've heard that is a common area for EVAP leaks. Anybody think that is the area I should be looking at?

I'm just looking for any input and/or help you guys can give.

Thanks,
Mike