Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Gas tank troubles...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas tank troubles...

Well i go to fill up the Z28 tonight after work... and as i try pumping gas into the tank it shoots everywhere. So i think wtf? Try turning the nozzle and pushing the nozzle further in the tank tube, it still sprays out. I tried pushing a hanger down (a little ways) to see if something was in the way. Well sure enough gas comes shooting out of the tube. What the hell is the deal? This is pissing me off. Long story short car is parked with an empty tank. Anyone have ideas? BTW it was 91* outside today. Anyway please get back to me ASAP. Im dumbfounded. Sorry didn't know where else to post this. Thanks guys - Zack
Old 06-26-2009, 09:36 PM
9 Second Club

The gas tank has a vent tube that runs all the way to the motor & to a solenoid on the driver side of the engine. Maybe it is not letting the tank vent & causing the tank to pressurize.

Secondly there is a spring loaded check valve in the gas tank filler tube. It won't allow gas to come out in case of a roll over. I assume you hit it with the clothes hanger & opened it momentarily.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^So is the solenoid bad?
Old 06-28-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Threw code 0440. Fuel System Error. Cleared it, now takes gas. I don't get it. Why would it throw this code? Bad gas? Drives perfect.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

P0440 is normally a small EVAP leak I do belive. Normally the gas gap was not put on tight or the seal has gone bad on the cap. Then the system will seal itself then you won't be able to add fuel to the tank from being sealed.

You need to hook a fog machine to the EVAP test port normally green on most cars. Then command the EVAP purge soloind closed to seal the system, then inject nitrogen and smoke into the evap system to find the leak. Then after you find the leak replace the nessacary parts. After you do that you should be ok from there on out. But the average person normally does not have the access to a EVAP tester.

I hope that helps you out. Very common on the newer trucks the the purge soilnoid is bad, and on passenger cars the gas cap goes bad.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^Thanks. I Appreciate it. Must've been the cap not on.