Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel pump help

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump help

Hi everyone,

I apologize for the long read, but I've been having some problems with my stock '02 SS lately...I would really appreciate it if I could get anyone's input on what could be going on here before I take it someplace and spend $$$.

About a week ago, when I started it up in the morning, it ran at around 4-500rpm at idle, and would rev up to 900 intermittently, like I had a huge lopey cam installed. After driving it for awhile, if I put it back in neutral, it would drop to 500rpm. That problem went away that same day and didn't come back, so I didn't think much of it.

A few days after that happened, I took it to a good mechanic who flushed and replaced my brake fluid, swapped out my pads and rotors, and changed the oil.

Within an hour after I left, the yellow service engine soon light flickered for awhile then came on solid. I took it to a service station and they got the following diagnostic codes:
PO171B: Bank I Too Lean
PO174B: Bank II Too Lean

The mechanic there said the only time he's seen those two codes together is when there's an issue with the fuel pump. My dad (a long-time amateur mechanic) advised me to replace the fuel filter and run a Techron fuel cleaner. I also came across a Corvette forum thread (see http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f5/fi...p0174-h-17161/) that recommended sealing the MAF with black electrical tape to stop an air leak that could have caused those same codes.

On top of all that, it began to leak oil from the center part of the engine after I left the mechanic.

So now I'm not sure if the combination of the oil leak + those engine codes is just one problem or more than one. Any ideas about about what could be going on here? I really appreciate the help!