Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Help em with flow-through rails ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 02:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help em with flow-through rails ...

Hey ya'll. I'm an off-road enthusiast who has built and fabbed several dedicated rock-buggies in the past. I am building another right now with an LS2 out of a 2005 SSR. I LOVE these new Chevy engines and am in the process of learning everything I can about them.

At this point I want to keep my LS2 as stock as possible while also spending as little money on it as possible. I do plan to do a major build on it sometime in the future but this is the most power I've ever had in a buggy as it is so I want to get used to it and learn more about the engines without killing myself first.

This is my first fuel inected engine. I've always run my engines on propane in the past. But from what I understand from everyone I've spoken to about these engines in off-road rigs is that keeping cool fuel at the rails is a problem with the stock dead-head setup. This being the case I am determined to run flow-through rails of some type. Whether that means buying aftermarket rails or modifying my stock rails I don't care. From a money perspective I'd rather modify my stock rails. As I udnerstand, I may be limited in my aftermarket choices anyway due to my SSR truck intake manifold anyway.

What are your recommendations? Another side-note is that I would prefer to get rid of all the factory fuel line fittings as -AN is so much easier to service out in the middle of the woods if I need to.

And let me appologize if there are already in-depth threads about this topic or something similar. I did search but came up with nothing specific. I may just suck at searching though. feel free to link me to anything you feel would help.

J. J.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure fuel temp is a problem in the rails.... 58psi of pressure raises the boiling point of the fuel quite high.

You could modify the rails with AN lines, or I can provide a complete kit for you, including all lines, rails, regulator, filter & fittings. I believe I have a set of rails for your application.

Feel free to call & discuss.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:02 AM
Launching!

I tend to agree that the rails is probably not where most people are *actually* boiling their fuel off. In these rigs we build fuel lines tend to get run very close to exhaust and other hot stuff as space is almost always a major constraint and that closer to the pump may be where it is getting boiled. Nevertheless, in nearly every case that has changed over to a flow-through system the problem has been resolved. I'm sure that fuel flowing through the entire system constantly results in no fuel being anywhere long enough to boil off no matter where the problem may lie. Hence my desire to run flow-through rails.

Thanks for the offer. I will PM you as I am not ready to buy right this second and want to waste as little of your time as possible.

J. J.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Feel free to call if you wish to discuss. PM's are not the best way to convey technical information.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:26 AM
Launching!

Lonnie,

I appreciate the offer. I contacted Mast Performance yesterday. They sell a couple of turnkey engines with truck intakes on them and were able to test-fit all of the models of fuel rails that they make on the intakes. None of them fit due to some interfing contours of the manifold itself. They said that the manifold could be trimmed in the areas but that the mounting bosses would have to come off so I would be making some new bracketry anyway. For now I am going to modify my stock rails and in the future when I modify the engine and go to a car intake I will do the whole aftermarket fuel rail deal. Thank you very much for you time though.

I'll post pics of my moded fuel rails in the fuel rail thread when they're done.

J. J.

Quick Reply: Help em with flow-through rails ...