Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

How much power does race gas add?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much power does race gas add?

Not too sure if this is the right place for this but oh well. I was wondering how much power race gas adds, I know it probably depends on how much you have done but a rough estimate? I've only put race gas in my car once due to it being so expensive but I couldn't believe the difference it made. Everything seemed to run smoother and quieter under normal driving, but when I was rolling and held it at 3 grand in 1st gear and pinned it...I lit up the rear tires like it was nothing, and normally I can't do that unless I launch it. I'm guessing around 30 rwhp?
Old 11-09-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

not that big a difference and wouldn't help at all when the lead startes messin with the o2's some people say they last now there is high octane unleaded but it does help keep the knock down
Old 11-10-2009, 11:23 AM
FormerVendor

Race gas will only add if your car needs it and is tuned for it. If you have the correct tune on whatever normal gas you have than the high octane of race gas will not be used and will run worse.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

remember the higher the octane the slower the burn thats why you need it in high compression engines in stock motors the slow burn can hurt power you can crank up the timin but thats just a correction
Old 11-10-2009, 11:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Normally forced induction cars see a big gain with race gas, because the gas has a higher igniton point. predetantion. So they can add timing and add more boost.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RsSean
Normally forced induction cars see a big gain with race gas, because the gas has a higher igniton point. predetantion. So they can add timing and add more boost.
I do not mean to be rude, but I think you meant to say pre-ignition not pre-detonation. There is no such thing as pre-detonation. The fuel can not detonate before it detonates. I think you mean pre-ignition. Pre-ignition accurse before ignition, it can lead to detonation, detonation accurse after ignition.

The higher the octane in a given fuel, the lower the BTU, BTU is a measurement of energy in the fuel. The more stable the fuel the less energy it has. Now when you compare gasoline to alcohol or a different fuel, the octane can be higher and the BTU can be higher but you are not comparing apples to apples any more.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas_WS6
detonation accurse after ignition
Originally Posted by Texas_WS6
The fuel can not detonate before it detonates.

Detonation is when fuel partially ignites before ignition due to high pressure and heat causing multiple flame fronts.

Not to burst your bubble but its true. Unless your tuned for race gas. That 100 octane gas Im assuming your putting in your car doesn't help out so much.

Last edited by KrisXpc; 11-10-2009 at 07:27 PM.

Quick Reply: How much power does race gas add?