Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel pump reliablilty...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel pump reliablilty...

So, I've decided to have a friend build a stainless fuel tank for me....and I'm going to run an external fuel pump. I've been looking at all different brands, and am leaning towards a Weldon 2345-A....which is overkill for the FFI 5.3 that is currently going in....but when the 408 is done, I'll want the option to go e85....and this pump seems to fit the bill.

That being said, what sort of reliability can I expect to see from this pump? Anyone here using anything similar? This car needs to be able to handle the duties of a daily-driver, and noise is somewhat of a concern....but reliability comes first....especially if I'm going to drop $1k+ on a fuel pump.

Thanks.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

BUMP.

Nobody?
Old 03-09-2010, 12:54 PM
FormerVendor

Very good pumps for race but Not the greatest street pump. Better with there voltage controller but not great. There are better pumps for street duty. what kinda power you planning? Give me a call Iwill help you put together a kit for your needs.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

Not that the 2345-A is not a good street pump (it might not be the ideal unit for street use) -- it is just that at base fuel pressure that pump will be moving well over 230 gph which is enough for 2000 hp. It is always best to size the fuel pump for the actual usage -- too much fuel can be as bad as too little.

By using the 14000 controller, you'll pull approx. 40% of the flow out of the fuel pump and quiet it down significantly. There are a good number of guys using this pump with the controller in street driving -- but I honestly would not recommend it for normal daily driving with anything under 540ci.

The DB2025-A will support well over 1000 hp on ethanol and a solid 1400 hp @ 80 psi and only be drawing 18 amps-- you'll still need to use the controller during daily driving but be able to support plenty of horsepower with just one fuel pump.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jim Craig
Not that the 2345-A is not a good street pump (it might not be the ideal unit for street use) -- it is just that at base fuel pressure that pump will be moving well over 230 gph which is enough for 2000 hp. It is always best to size the fuel pump for the actual usage -- too much fuel can be as bad as too little.

By using the 14000 controller, you'll pull approx. 40% of the flow out of the fuel pump and quiet it down significantly. There are a good number of guys using this pump with the controller in street driving -- but I honestly would not recommend it for normal daily driving with anything under 540ci.

The DB2025-A will support well over 1000 hp on ethanol and a solid 1400 hp @ 80 psi and only be drawing 18 amps-- you'll still need to use the controller during daily driving but be able to support plenty of horsepower with just one fuel pump.
According to Weldon's site, the DB2025-A will only support 700hp on methanol....unless I'm not understanding correctly. It will be enough to supprt the boosted 5.3 that is going in the car this month, but does not leave any "room to grow" with the 408 I'm currently piecing together. When I make the switch to e85, it will be feeding a boosted 408 at roughly 18-20 psi. I'm just trying to build a "future friendly" fuel system....is this a bad idea, given the fact that I'll be runing the boosted 5.3 for 1-2 years before the 408 is done? I had planned to run the controller for the fuel pump as well.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by salemetro
According to Weldon's site, the DB2025-A will only support 700hp on methanol....unless I'm not understanding correctly. It will be enough to supprt the boosted 5.3 that is going in the car this month, but does not leave any "room to grow" with the 408 I'm currently piecing together. When I make the switch to e85, it will be feeding a boosted 408 at roughly 18-20 psi. I'm just trying to build a "future friendly" fuel system....is this a bad idea, given the fact that I'll be runing the boosted 5.3 for 1-2 years before the 408 is done? I had planned to run the controller for the fuel pump as well.
that's correct -- 700 on methanol, you said ethanol. The 2025 will support 1000 when using ethanol and 1400 on normal gasoline -- both ratings at 80 psi. Turbocharged right??
Old 03-10-2010, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jim Craig
that's correct -- 700 on methanol, you said ethanol. The 2025 will support 1000 when using ethanol and 1400 on normal gasoline -- both ratings at 80 psi. Turbocharged right??
Looks like that will be the one. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump reliablilty...