Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fueling issue..... LOST!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 11:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Fueling issue..... LOST!

Will try to keep this short...

I left the day before yesterday from my house to go to a friends... Drove around 30 miles there (had to make some stops). Car hadn't been drove in around 3 days before that, drove fine.
It drove absolutely perfect on the way over there.. I did around 2 wide open throttle runs 35-95. Pulled/shifted perfect, after the last WOT run I still had another 10-12 miles to his house and it drove/idled perfect.

Got there and jacked the car up.. We were undergoing the task of grinding calipers for Pro Stars. It was jacked up (no ridiculous height) for around 3 1/2 hours or so I would say, we took our time and ate half way through.

Put it down and made sure everything was good to go.. Went to start and it wouldn't turn over, would just crank. Tried probably 3 times and decided to hook it up to buddies car.. No go.. Hooked it up to battery charger for around 15 minutes... No go.. Unhooked battery for 3-4 minutes.. Hooked it up to BIG *** truck When I went to start it, absolutely nothing.. Turned back off and everything reset, speedo and everything, turned off and back on and everything was fine.. floored it to cut off injectors and started.. Car was running PIG rich.. Wouldn't hardly idle, cutting in and out really bad..

Finally settled down enough to let idle on own and it idled for around 10 minutes.. The drive home (couldn't keep it there) was terrible.. Could hardly make it to 30mph and wouldn't go above that. Cutting in and out, wouldn't go above 3k RPMS etc etc etc.

Today... Got up and went to his house (I moved and don't have any tools here yet). Still running like **** but slightly better than last night, could get up to 45mph or so without as much cutting in and out. You could smell the gas in the valve covers.

changed spark plugs
changed oil/filter
left battery unhooked the entire time we did this

Same problems but WAY better than it was.. Filled it up on the way home and it didn't really change anything, thought it might have been bad gas.. I had a little less than 1/8 tank.. Put 13.0 gallons of gas in it tonight, 93 of course as always.

The ONLY thing I can think of is either...
A. Bad gas (this happened to a few places in town two weeks ago.. I hadn't drove my car though so I waited for it to pass before getting gas for it.. I had gotten gas about 1 week before the batch of bad gas was going around. But I had drove for around 45 miles before all this **** started happening. I figured it would be almost immediate if I got bad gas.
B. When I took off my old rims, before I mounted my others I sprayed the brakes/rotors and areas off with water.. Nothing excessive, just enough to get some lite grime off of them. I don't have a clue what this would effect fueling wise but you never know.

Only two things I can think... Fuel pump/injectors. If the fuel pump was going out though I would think it would be running lean? Not dumping fuel. Even if it was clogged, it should be lean, no?
Injector clogged, same thing.. Lean.
Maybe if an injector/s was going bad and it was just spraying fuel?

I am honestly lost.. It is not throwing any codes whatsoever but have not had a chance to hook it up yet.

Sorry so long, ANY help is appreciated and thanks in advance!

EDIT:: Car has a dyno tune on it.. H/C 226 cam so it is small.. Stock injectors/fuel pump.. I have a Whalbro fuel pump so that will go on this week.. Guess I could buy my injectors as well.. Would just like some input or suggestions prehand so if that stuff doesn't work.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wtf. who is the *** friend that messed up your car? LOL. sorry, but there has got to be more to it than that.

what did the spark plugs look like? ever looked on NGKs website or done a spark plug "read" to see how you are running?
Old 03-21-2010, 09:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
wtf. who is the *** friend that messed up your car? LOL. sorry, but there has got to be more to it than that.

what did the spark plugs look like? ever looked on NGKs website or done a spark plug "read" to see how you are running?
I was actually the only one who touched the car........ Good or bad thing... Right now, I don't know!

There is absolutely nothing that was done that I didn't mention.. I tried to give as much detail as I could, don't think I left anything out that is of any significance. We ate Little Ceasers with a Wild Cherry Pepsi as our mid way snack!

Rich... Straight black pretty much. No, I have not looked on their site. I have ran perfect always... My tune is spot on (just got a retune a few months ago).

I was there and I was stumped.. I keep going over it in my head thinking there has to be SOMETHING we did that effected something directly or indirectly.. I have back tracked and everything.. Nothing comes to mind. ONLY thing is spaying the water.... IMO it wasn't enough to do anything and wasn't sprayed directly on anything. Don't know how it could effect anything.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Culprit = Bad MAF
I never had an idea a bad MAF could make a car run that terrible. It was horrible, I thought I had a serious problem. Unplugged the MAF and it was running almost as good as before. Bought a new MAF and it is back to 100%!

Going to replace spark plugs/change oil/change filter again just to make sure everything is safe.
Went ahead and bought new coils/spark plug wires/relocation kit as well just in case it was any of those.

Thanks!