Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Alcohol ls1

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alcohol ls1

Does anybody have or know of someone running a ls1 on alcohol, or is this possible? If so what kind of setup do they have, mainly how much compression are they running and are the stock injectors capable of flowing enough fuel?
Old 01-07-2004, 12:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A group at the University of Nebraska has converted an LS1 to run on ethanol. There is a good description of their work at http://www.engr.unl.edu/~ethanol/ Click the Projects button and then download their SAE paper.
Old 01-07-2004, 01:39 PM
TECH Junkie

I came really close to converting to alcohol with my old 382cid motor...

In a nutshell, you require almost twice the amount of alcohol as gasoline to support the same horsepower level, but the engine runs much cooler, and makes 5-10% more hp.

You'd need a pretty big fuel system and injectors to do it, but it could most certainly be done...
Old 01-07-2004, 01:41 PM
TECH Junkie

BTW, I'm referring to methanol in the above post... I doubt anyone here's asking about converting to alcohol because they want to help the environment...
Old 01-07-2004, 01:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

George,How's youre car coming out?I have not seen you post any updates with pics in awhile?Ohh yeah isn't that alcohol the stuff that burns your eyes.I remeber being in back of a car when it was doing a burning,suddenly my eyes started burning from the fuel,alcohol exhaust smoke....
Old 01-07-2004, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

I'm thinking about it because of the extra horses, and I can get it cheap since we buy mass quanities of methanol for a 410 outlaw sprint car. I just wasn't sure if I could get the compression up high enough to burn it good. I would think that this would be a great advantage to everyone running a supercharger. You should be able to run much higher boost and not run into the problem of overheating since it does burn much cooler. Plus with the boost I would think it would easily burn alcohol.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RobZ
George,How's youre car coming out?I have not seen you post any updates with pics in awhile?Ohh yeah isn't that alcohol the stuff that burns your eyes.I remeber being in back of a car when it was doing a burning,suddenly my eyes started burning from the fuel,alcohol exhaust smoke....
My car is a looooong way from being back together right now... Between my '86 Chevy truck I've been playing with, a lack of funds, and not enough free time, I haven't put much into the Camaro lately... It's totally disassembled right now, in the middle of being painted.

I have a pretty solid gameplan for the motor/tranny combo (410cid SB2/N2O/powerglide), but it isn't happening anytime soon.

Quick Reply: Alcohol ls1