Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

help! Premature pump failure?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! Premature pump failure?

alrite guys heres the story.
I have a 94 lt1 and decided to go to a walbro 255 pump this winter when i had more than enough time to drop the axle. The pump itself was ordered from a vendor on this site and it is a real walbro. The actual install was done while the car was in storage and sat for about two months, didnt run until about three weeks ago when i got it out. I should note that the old fuel sock in the tank was reused however the fuel filter is fresh . Everything was fine until last night pulling into my driveway the motor cut and my gauges started fluctuating like crazy until i pulled the key. It restarted but it cranked longer than normal. I decided to take it back out and see whats up. Everything was as it should be but coasting down the street at like 35 it died again. this time it started and ran like **** before dying yet again. i let it sit about 5 minutes, than it was ok and i took it home. It idles and drives fine, it seems coasting to a stop is when it wants to die.
The only explanation i have is that my new walbro pump is failing after only 300 miles. Is it possible that it failed prematurely? do i just need a hotwire kit? or am i looking at a whole new problem?
i should also note this happened shortly after the first and only time i put kwik trip shitty gas in this car (had no choice)
Old 05-27-2010, 03:33 PM
FormerVendor

First off you need a gauge on it to know if it is the fuel pressure. Could have killed the pump without the added voltage it needs without a hotwire kit the stock wiring is barely enough for the stock pump much less one that draws twice the amps. And any junk in the old sock could also have destroyed your new pump thats why they come with new ones. When replacing a new pump you really need to clean old fuel and junk off the bottom of the tank.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:17 PM
Staging Lane

thank you for the response. any imput is appreciated. i checked the fuel pressure off the rail and it was fine at idle the whole time. i do not have an in car gauge atm but i plan on buying one after this incident. As for the install the bottom of the tank was cleaned as was everything else. the pump i bought did not come with any type of sock, i was poorly advised by a buddy to simply clean it with alcohal and compressed air. i am guessing this coupled with the low voltage led to the possible failure.

the only thing i cant understand is why it doesnt cut out under load and my tach goes crazy when it happens.