Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Newb type question

Old 06-01-2010, 12:38 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Newb type question

Sorry all, but still very new to the whole fuel aspect of engine management and just had a quick question.

Say a car has a 100% stock motor, but the owner finds a great deal on a walbro fuel pump. Owner knows that in the future he plans to run a FI setup and the pump will be used. If he installs the pump but continues to use his stock motor, are there any ill effects?

Take the same situation and swap fuel pump for injector, does the story change at all?

My understanding of the situation is that you can upgrade the stock fuel pump and injectors, but you won't gain anything out of doing the swap until you put parts in that will actually require the extra fuel. Does this also mean that the replacement parts will continue to work fine in the vehicle until the owner decides to add the power adder that will use the extra fuel?

I'm sorry if I'm wording this question horribly, but it's something I've always wondered about, and I decided I'd just ask the great people here. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Shenlon; 06-01-2010 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Edited for clarity
Old 06-01-2010, 08:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Car with stock engine will work with a bigger pump or larger injectors (within reason) just fine.

Neither will increase power since the car does not need the additional fuel, nor should it alter fuel economy if tuned properly.

If you are planning a forced induction build, please give me a call. I can ensure you get the correct parts (both fuel system & supercharger) & only buy things once.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Thank you very much for the detailed response. I will definitely keep you in mind when I finally get around to actually deciding what kind of system I want to go with (and more importantly, find the money to pay for it). This was just a question that popped into my head as right now I'm trying to keep an eye out for things I could maybe find used for cheap here and there in the mean-time.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shenlon
Thank you very much for the detailed response. I will definitely keep you in mind when I finally get around to actually deciding what kind of system I want to go with (and more importantly, find the money to pay for it). This was just a question that popped into my head as right now I'm trying to keep an eye out for things I could maybe find used for cheap here and there in the mean-time.
Yea, Lonnies the man with the fuel setup .On another note and something i actually did on my TT build was install the whole fuel pump kit with the lines and everthing but kept the stock injectors in intill i was actually done with my build .It only takes 5 minutes to change out the injectors! Plus you want to atleast breakin your new engine to 500 miles and its best to do it with the stock injectors with the stock tunned PCM as your not taking a chance of washing the cylinders or running to rich or lean. I actually left my stock injectors (28's) in with my built 6.0 till it was dyno time
Old 06-04-2010, 06:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shenlon
...I'm trying to keep an eye out for things I could maybe find used for cheap here and there in the mean-time.
Do yourself a favor & do not buy a cheap fuel pump. The wasted time to fix or replace things quickly offsets the savings.

Search this Thread