Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Help with Racetronix fuel pump install

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 07:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Default Help with Racetronix fuel pump install

Yesterday we installed the Racetronix 98 F-body fuel pump kit & hot wire kit. The pump kit has a small metal clamp which is used as an additional seal to the pressure fit hose (the same type OEM uses). We realized after putting the rear end back together and looking at the old pump on the floor, that we had put the clamp on but didn't tighten it because of a lack of appropriate tool. Hopefully no problem there. We confirmed the fuel pump would prime multiple times before putting the rear end in, then buttoned her up.

I started it to go home later, and I noticed the fuel gauge was practically empty (but I was on an incline). So I drove it to the local gas station and it would only take 10 gallons. I checked the fuel gauge and it still showed below E. Then as I was driving around, the gauge very slowly creeped up to just past the 3/4 mark, and that's as high as it went. I do believe it went down a wee bit on the way home though as normal.

Any recommendations on how to handle the fuel gauge inaccuracy?
Old 06-20-2010, 10:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

probably the sending unit, the racetronix kit doesnt come with a new one does it? some times ive cleaned the contacts and got them to stay working but thats what it sounds like.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Why would the sending unit randomly go out at the same time we installed the Racetronix kit? I presume the sending unit is in the tank?
Old 06-20-2010, 09:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your level sending unit could have been in poor condition & bumping one of the delicate wipers could have caused them to break off. It happens....
I see a lot of them in bad condition. Remember these cars are getting old now.

The kit had nothing to do with the gauge, unless you did not install the purple sending unit wires back in the connector properly.

Did you clean the contacts in the tank connector?
Old 06-23-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Junkie

I watched the person do the install, and I can't say whether the purple wires were placed in the connector properly (I seem to recall pulling wires from two old connectors, and moving them to two new connectors), but the contacts were not cleaned. In addition to it only going to 3/4 when full, it seems to have begun stalling when the needle was slightly above E, luckily there was a gas station only a half block away. Only took 10 gallons again, and back to '3/4' full.

OK, another question on the racetronix kit... i bought the body ground upgrade cable, but there were no instructions on how to install it. How do I install it?
Old 06-23-2010, 08:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aux ground wire goes between neg battery terminal & inner fender.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimMueller
In addition to it only going to 3/4 when full, it seems to have begun stalling when the needle was slightly above E, luckily there was a gas station only a half block away. Only took 10 gallons again, and back to '3/4' full.
Any resolution on this? Mine does the same thing. and I know there was a racetronix installed at some point by the Previous owner. Going to be tearing back into it soon and wanted to maybe fix the issue
Old 11-28-2012, 02:46 PM
TECH Junkie

I bought a replacement OEM fuel level sender but I've never installed it because it's a PITA to access it.

Quick Reply: Help with Racetronix fuel pump install