Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

1999 Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Firebird

Not sure if this is the right place, but Im giving it a go..

I have a 1999 Pontiac Firebird with 36,000 + miles on it and bought this car brand new. I keep her stored and start it all the time and just keep the miles down.. I brought it out about 2 weeks ago and decided to drop some gas in it and since I dont drive her all the time with the cold weather coming, I only wanted to put about $10.00 in gas in it. It stopped at about $2.00 in gas and wont take any more that a few cents at a time. and it wants to leak out like its full. It took me almost 20 minutes to get the 10 in it!!

I thought that maybe the vent tube was junk and removed the plastic wheel well from the drivers side back tire but found out there is no vent tube..

I did notice that about 6 inches from the nozzle entrance, there is a factory black rubber tubing that is about 8 inches long that connects the nozzle to the tank entrance..

Is there a filter inside that tube that is maybe blocked or clogged?? The reason I ask is because the tube part connecting to the gas tank, is recessed and difficult to get to, I would hate to get in there and discover I could have gone a different route..

Or is there a vent tube somewhere I have no idea about?? Any help would be appreciated.. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:24 AM
FormerVendor

There is a vent to charcoal can that relieves to the intake manifold. It is a sealed venting system that sends vapors back tot he motor to be burned. There is a clog in that system if it will not fill properly.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:07 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the roll over ball inside the tank is stuck closed.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Nasty N8
There is a vent to charcoal can that relieves to the intake manifold. It is a sealed venting system that sends vapors back tot he motor to be burned. There is a clog in that system if it will not fill properly.

So the canister itself may be clogged or junk?? Wow, thats located at the top of the tank which involves dropping the tank to get to it( among other things)

Probably no easy way around this huh?? Thanks, Ill investigate further and post how it comes out..lol