Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel Gauge Problem... HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel Gauge Problem... HELP

Ok everyone need your input... I have a 98 TA and am having a problem with the fuel gauge, Gauge sweeps but goes directly to empty. when I turn the ignition off it rests at about 1/8 of a tank. I tried putting a 50 ohm resistor in line to see if I could rule out the gauge itself, but nothing.

When I ohm out the sender with 4 gallons I get 6 ohms.

Almost seems like the sender and gauge are bad, any info you can give me would help.

My setup has racetronix dual intank pumps and harness

Thanks
Brian
Old 11-04-2010, 08:26 PM
Launching!

Default Gauge

Update- I put a potentiometer on the plug behind the back seat, I can see the resistance change at the computer as I turn the **** but the gauge does not do anything, So I got a spare computer and tried that, still nothing.

So Im thinking my fuel gauge and sender are bad, just seems odd both would be bad
Old 11-05-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Might try replacing the sender. Ever since I installed my racetronix kit mine has done the same. Sometimes I get a reading and sometimes it's stuck on E. I thought it was the sender so I replaced it but it's still acting the same. I'm pretty sure the actual float is getting hung up on something because sometimes it will be on E and when I go up a driveway at an angle the next time I turn it on it works then if I go up a driveway again from the other side it stops working again.

I've checked all connections, replaced the sender have pulled the pump assembly a couple of times and lowered it back in carefully and it work a day then stop again.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:07 PM
Launching!

Default Sender

Correct me if i'm wrong, but if I put a potentiometer between the black/white wire and purple wire, I should be able to make the gauge move.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you should as long as the pot varies between 0 & 90 ohms. If resistance is higher than this, the potentiometer will do nothing.

Short the purple & black/white together & gauge should go empty.
You can easily buy a few resistors at Radio Shack.... try to get a 45 & 90 to check for half & full readings.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
Yes you should as long as the pot varies between 0 & 90 ohms. If resistance is higher than this, the potentiometer will do nothing.

Short the purple & black/white together & gauge should go empty.
You can easily buy a few resistors at Radio Shack.... try to get a 45 & 90 to check for half & full readings.
So your saying with the sender disconnected, the gauge should read full, which it doesn't. I believe the 98 sender is 40-250 or somewhere in that range, reason being, I went to a parts store and ohmed out a sender for a 98 and I got it to go from 40 to around 200.

I have turned the dial on the potentiometer and get nothing 0-90, or 40-250,
I put the meter up by the computer, and I can see the resistance change, so I know the signal from the sender is getting to the computer. tried swapping the computer and still nothing. Since I am getting only 6 ohms from the sender with 4 gallons of gas I am pretty sure the sender is bad, but that still doesn't help me in figuring out the problem with the gauge.

I am also getting a P0452 code which I know is a tank pressure code. didn't know if there is a common ground for both the fuel gauge circuit and fuel tank pressure sensor.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:33 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pump may not say full if disconnected.... too much resistance may be viewed as an error... not sure how that works. Better to use a 90-100 ohm resistor.

Do you have one of my dual intank pump kits, or one you built yourself?
If you do call me.

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge Problem... HELP