Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Low fuel pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low fuel pressure?

I just got the car in on a trade 98 z28, He told be about the fuel pressure being at 30#, but I have not put a gauge on it yet I just got the car last night. When you are driving the car and give it a lil gas it spits and sputters, also when you start it back up after it sits for a while it is hard to start, he told me that they guy he got it from had replaced the pump a lil while back, So it acts like it is leaking down would a hoe in the line going to the fuel pump in the tank do this, it has a walbro 255 in it, or could it be the Fuel press reg in the tank. Pls help.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:58 PM
10 Second Club

Check the line from the top of the pump to the top hat of the bucket. Mine was leaking and spewing inside the tank with similar issues.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dirty Vegas
Check the line from the top of the pump to the top hat of the bucket. Mine was leaking and spewing inside the tank with similar issues.
K i will do, thanks
Old 11-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Teching In

Mine has done this a couple times now, and it's turned out to be a blown O ring on the fuel pressure reg every time.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SlonomaZ28
Mine has done this a couple times now, and it's turned out to be a blown O ring on the fuel pressure reg every time.
Can you replace the reg to? Where can you get them?
Old 11-04-2010, 05:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fire57
Can you replace the reg to? Where can you get them?
Yeah, you can replace just the regulator. You can get them at auto parts stores or a dealer. The only really bad part is that the regulator is in the tank, the regulator looking thing on the fuel rail is just a pulse dampener.
Hope that helps.

Last edited by SlonomaZ28; 11-04-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:59 AM
Teching In

Yeah, you can replace just the regulator. You can get them at auto parts stores or a dealer. The only really bad part is that the regulator is in the tank, the regulator looking thing on the fuel rail is just a pulse dampener.
Hope that helps.
Yep I know the Reg is in the tank.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:02 AM
Teching In

I put a fuel gauge, on it yesterday and when I cycle the key it goes up to 40psi and then falls fast to 0, so that tells me that the check valve in the pump in shot, or there is a hole in the rubber hose going from the pump. When car is running it only making 40psi. Is there anything else I should check out?
Old 11-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Teching In

I put a fuel gauge, on it yesterday and when I cycle the key it goes up to 40psi and then falls fast to 0, so that tells me that the check valve in the pump in shot, or there is a hole in the rubber hose going from the pump. When car is running it only making 40psi. Is there anything else I should check out?
Nope, I'd almost guarantee it's a blown o ring on your regulator.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:05 AM
Teching In

Nope, I'd almost guarantee it's a blown o ring on your regulator.
Man you was right, it was a blown o ring on the Reg!! Thanks man!!!
Old 11-09-2010, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Man you was right, it was a blown o ring on the Reg!! Thanks man!!!
Glad to help. On mine I believe it happened due to a kinked return line, so if you have any further issues with it you may wanna check that.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:21 AM
Teching In

Glad to help. On mine I believe it happened due to a kinked return line, so if you have any further issues with it you may wanna check that.
Bought a new fuel reg and it is doing the same thing again, where was your kinked at?
Old 11-13-2010, 04:34 PM
Teching In

Hey i have the same exact problem as you. been through 3 different pumps and still after a few days, the car is hard to start and sluggish when you give it gas. i have the tank down and pump out right now and i can see the baby blue o ring coming out of the regulater. to me it seems as though the metal piece holding the reg. on is too tight and makes the housing part oval shaped and eventually the o ring comes out and leaks..how bout spreading the retainer and putting some silicone around the seam?
Old 11-14-2010, 08:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

"and putting some silicone around the seam?"

I'd forget that idea!
Old 11-14-2010, 09:07 AM

what will happen if somone did silicone the seam on the o-ring or use a permatex glue to hold it on??? im having same issue
Old 11-14-2010, 01:48 PM
Teching In

I've had this issue 3 times now as well, and I don't think it's the clip. I'd look at all your fuel lines and make sure nothing's kinked anywhere. The soft lines aren't very long, and I believe it's caused by a kink in the return line.
EDIT: I was wondering about the silicone thing too. If anyone tries it, please post results.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:13 PM

well ive done some testing today. i tried a couple diff setups. i tried putting 2 o-rings on at once and used a hose clamp and tightened the regulator down into its housing. this worked for awhile. im gonna try some more setups tommorow.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:10 PM

think ive got the winning solution. The factory o-ring on the in tank fuel pressure regulators are kinda small. I went to the local parts store, picked up a thicker, tighter fitting o-ring, and put it on, AND put the stock o-ring on over the little black spacer. i put it all back in the regulator housing. tightened it all down and put a hose clamp over it the hole thing and tightened it on pretty good. Have romped on the car all day now and the o-ring hasnt popped of yet. And honestly i dont see how it can pop off with the thicker over sized o-ring. HOPE THIS HELPS
Old 11-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ryansz
think ive got the winning solution. The factory o-ring on the in tank fuel pressure regulators are kinda small. I went to the local parts store, picked up a thicker, tighter fitting o-ring, and put it on, AND put the stock o-ring on over the little black spacer. i put it all back in the regulator housing. tightened it all down and put a hose clamp over it the hole thing and tightened it on pretty good. Have romped on the car all day now and the o-ring hasnt popped of yet. And honestly i dont see how it can pop off with the thicker over sized o-ring. HOPE THIS HELPS
The stock O ring by itself shouldn't pop out after a day of romping on it either. Be sure to keep us updated on how long this lasts, and if it's really effective. But I don't see how you can tell from just one day, nothing should fail anywhere near that quickly.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:16 PM

The reason the stock o-rings pop off is because the regulator housing gets oval shaped after awhile from the clip and snap ring pressing on it constantly. GM should have made that housing anything except plastic. So everytime you put the o-ring back on, it will eventually pop off because the housing is no longer circular. But with the bigger o-ring it creates a better and much tighter fit and seal. And on top of this i took the stock o-ring and placed it on the plastic spacer so I now have 2 o-rings. Once i got the o-rings and regulator to fit firmly down in the housing, I used a hose clamp to put around the housing and regulator and tightened it down just to assure this problem wouldnt happen again. I agree, you cant tell anything after one day, but my stock setup and o-ring would pop off usually once every hour or so. I have driven the car for about 12 hours today and gave her some hell and it has not popped off. Only time will tell. I do recomend you try this setup. I only cost 10 cents for an o-ring and a buck for a hose clamp.