Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Noisy LP Pump - what am I doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Noisy LP Pump - what am I doing wrong?

Hi Guys,
need a bit of advice ref my fueling on an LS7 install into an Ultima.

I have 2 tanks, linked to a factory supplied Pollock Valve. The tanks were connected to Holly LP Vane-type pump that feeds (via the pollock) a swirl-pot. The Swirl-pot feeds a HP Holley pump to the engine.

A while back the engine stopped suddenly with cam sensor errors - but that turned out to be a red herring, as the real reason was I have run out of fuel - Doohh!

Anyway...during my attempts to restart, the LP pump became extremely noisy (almost screeching at me) although it kept working OK, so I assumed I had knackered it due to turning on the ign (and thus the power to the pump) with no fuel for 30 secs or so.

I changed the pump for a new Gyrotor type (HP 125), made sure plenty of fuel - and the pump was nice and quiet.
But a few days later, I have found this pump becoming more and more noisy so it now sounds like a washing-machine just after expelling the water - ie a rather loud Yummm-yumm sound.

The engine still starts, the fuel tanks are full, have checked the fuel feed to the pump - ????????

Two questions really:

1. Can a few seconds of running a vane type pump dry knacker it so easily - if so a bit worrying if you ran out of fuel somewhere remote!

2.Do the HP 125's get louder over time?

Cheers

KEITH