Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Extra hose on fuel pump??????

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 03:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extra hose on fuel pump??????

OK my car started acting real crazy losing power, stalling, backfireing through intake a bunch of crap. found out my fuel pump was only putting out at best 20psi and dropping to 10 while driving. so i bought a granatelli 255lph pump from summit today did the fuel access door mod went really smooth alot easier than dropping the rear end. anyway my car is a 99 ss the new pump didnt fit exactly like the old on it was actually alot smaller so i bought some hose from home depot to put around the housing of the new pump to solve that problem the only thing i couldnt figure out is the old pump has two hoses coming off of it a larger one and a real small hose the new pump only had one outlet so my question is. what is this smaller line for? and is it safe to not have it hooked up? my car started right up and seemed to be running fine still havent drove it yet or put a guage on it to see how much pressure i have if anyone knows what that smaller hose is for can you please enlighten me.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should have atleast bought a racetronix pump http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...PA-001&eq=&Tp=
or bought the racetronix pump and upgrade wire kit. http://www.racetronix.biz/customkiti...c=RFPK-001&eq=
If you can return the Grantelli pump, you should. That little hose is the venturi line, it fills the fuel bucket up, if it doesn't fill the bucket up your fuel pump will over heat.
With the grantelli pump you where suppose to cut a hole in the bucket to allow fuel to enter the bucket since it doesn't use the venturi line. Cutting a hole is a bad idea, you really can't let the car get below a 1/4 of a tank, and still have the granatelli pump be reliable.
So you have a few options, return the granatelli, and get the racetronix pump, or cut a hole in your fuel pump bucket.
The racetonix is by far the best replacement pump for under 550rwhp or so. It fits exactly like factory, and works exactly like factory, unlike the granatelli pump.
Oh and the granatelli pump uses a black rubber hose correct?? good luck with that, that hose will blow off within the next month, i promise.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:44 PM
Teching In

thanks man i really appreciate your advice as far as returning the granatelli pump not sure how that is gonna go cant imagine summit racing taking back a pump i installed already but i sure will try. if they dont take it back i'll just bite the bullet and keep the damn thing. how big is this hole i need to put in my bucket 1/8- 1/4 inch? and how far up from the bottom of the bucket does it have to be?
Old 04-18-2011, 10:51 PM
Teching In

just looked into the ractronix pump and looks like alot better option i think im gonna be pulling the granatelli out and doing the racetronix pump and wire kit.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I have the Racetronix pumps/wiring harnesses in stock if you need one.
They are definitely the way to go.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

if summit won't take it back, just sell it on here and atleast get some of your money back. Someone might buy it.
If you get the racetronix pump, the wiring harness is worth the extra $50 or so. It powers the fuel pump directly from the alternator with a heavier gauge wire than stock. The voltage at the alternator is higher than at the battery also.

Quick Reply: Extra hose on fuel pump??????