Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel pump cutting out randomly

Old 03-18-2012, 07:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump cutting out randomly

So today i took my car out and i noticed the car losing power for a split second and then the power kicking back in. i have a wideband in the car and it was reading that the car was going dead lean (22-1 a/f) then going back to 14-1 a/f ratio. (it stays around there when just crusing around). this happend about 4 times today and it seemed to only happen if i was driving the car for a while (20 to 30 mintues). and it did not do it at all at WOT. so i drive the car home and shut it off then immadiately tried starting it and it wouldnt start, i couldnt hear the fuel pump kick on. i let the car sit for about 15 minutes and tried starting it again and the fuel pump kicked on and it started just fine. what could be wrong?? i run a aeromotive 340 with a Caspers hot wire kit that was installed about 2 months ago. id really appreciate any help from you guys!

Last edited by n2ols1cam; 03-31-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Fuel pump is going out. Need to replace it. I know it's not what you wanted to hear. Replace it before it leaves you stranded some where far from home.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:24 AM
Launching!

could it be a problem with the wiring? the pump is pretty much brand new. less than 1000 miles on it.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:23 AM
Launching!

anyone??
Old 03-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What kinda car is this? Is the pump in the tank or externally mounted? If indeed the pump is shutting off you need to monitor the voltage to the pump to determine if it is indeed the pump or voltage supply causing your problem.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mantycarguy
What kinda car is this? Is the pump in the tank or externally mounted? If indeed the pump is shutting off you need to monitor the voltage to the pump to determine if it is indeed the pump or voltage supply causing your problem.
it is a 01 trans am and its a intank aeromotive 340 with a caspers hot wire kit. i really hope its just a ground issue because the pump and the hot wire kit are brand new.

would the fuel pump cutout randomly if it was a ground issue with the hot wire kit?
Old 07-31-2017, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

I'm reviving this thread because I think I'm having the same issue except I'm running a Racetronix FPA-001B pump and their hotwire kit. It never happens in park or while idling in gear only while driving, which makes me think it's not the pump going out but I could be wrong. Fuel pump only has about 1500 miles on it by the way.

Wound a grounding issue in the hot wire kit cause the pump to cut out randomly? If it is a voltage issue, how would I go about monitoring it while driving?

I appreciate any help you guys can give me. This problem's had me scratching my head for awhile now.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Any slightly loose connection anywhere in the circuit can cause that problem. With the engine running, shake and wiggle every connection through the circuit until the engine falters. Then you know you're close.

A couple of years ago I had a brand new track car. Everything was new, and the best quality parts I could find. It would randomly die, and then start right up again. Started happening more and more, until I couldn't even get to grid without it dying. After a bunch of time chasing down circuits, we finally tracked it down to a bad fuel pump relay. A brand new Bosch part, but bad. Replaced it with a spare, and problem solved.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

im not sursrised, a quality relay costs up to $30, nrearly the price of the whole kit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel pump cutting out randomly