Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

How do I completely drain the fuel system?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012 | 02:03 AM
Launching!

Default How do I completely drain the fuel system?

I only have a floor jack, and in my driveway if that matters so I need the easiest way to drain the WHOLE fuel system. I was thinking of buying at least three 5-gallon buckets from the local hardware store to drain into. Thank you
Old 10-27-2012 | 08:15 AM
Staging Lane

As long as the fuel pump works, you need to make a break in the supply fuel line preferrably before the regulator in the engine bay. Get a large size fuel jug and put the line into the jug. Then turn on the ignition and let the fuel pump pump the fuel into the jug. Just watch the line as it may kick at first and try to back out of the jug, and keep an eye on the fuel level for when it gets close to empty so you can kill the ignition shortly after the pump gasses off.
Old 10-30-2012 | 08:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Turbo5.0
As long as the fuel pump works, you need to make a break in the supply fuel line preferrably before the regulator in the engine bay. Get a large size fuel jug and put the line into the jug. Then turn on the ignition and let the fuel pump pump the fuel into the jug. Just watch the line as it may kick at first and try to back out of the jug, and keep an eye on the fuel level for when it gets close to empty so you can kill the ignition shortly after the pump gasses off.

Where is the regulator and how do I know which line is the supply fuel line?
Old 10-31-2012 | 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

From: Home town Clive,IA current town FORT BENNING GEORGIA

just unhook it from the fuel filter if you are going to jack the car up. keep priming the pump (make sure to take breaks periodically on the pump) and just pump it out that way. plus if you spill it's on the ground and not in your engine bay.
Old 11-01-2012 | 08:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mightymike2000ss
just unhook it from the fuel filter if you are going to jack the car up. keep priming the pump (make sure to take breaks periodically on the pump) and just pump it out that way. plus if you spill it's on the ground and not in your engine bay.
Will I be able to drain the whole system with the rear end jacked up or will I need to jack the front up too to make it "level"? Thank you on that suggestion as I know where the fuel filter is, and how to disconnect it (by driver's side rear wheel right? at least it was on my '95 V6 Firebird, wasn't sure if it's the same for V8's).
Old 11-04-2012 | 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

once you know where your going to pull fuel from it will save alot of headache if you know someone with HP tuners or EFI live they can open the scanner up (wont cost you any credits or anything) and they can turn the fuel pump on manually so you dont have to keep keying on and off the ignition

Quick Reply: How do I completely drain the fuel system?