Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

regulator before the rail?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default regulator before the rail?

can i run my boost reference pressure regulator before my ls3 rail and return off of it instead of buying aftermarket rails?
Old 02-15-2014, 07:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can, but it is not the best way to do it, you will not always be able to maintain the required pressure in the rails. I know of many people who have just tapped the factory rails to run A/N lines to/from them.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do the LS3 rails not have a port on the end of them? IF they do, just mount it there.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

I have an Aeromotive boost ref reg before the LS3 rails-I use a #8 line dead headed to the rails, the return is from the reg
works good, I data logged the FP, works fine-I have the FP sensor at the end of the fuel rail where the shrader valve was, used an adapter to 1/8 pipe
Old 02-15-2014, 02:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends on the regulator type & the power output.

I have seen this cause a lot of fuel pressure issues on high HP cars... some as low as 600rwhp have had pressure stability problems. Many regulators are restrictive internally & cause these problems.

If it works for you, good, consider yourself lucky... but this is not the proper way to plumb a fuel system.
Over the years I've had many calls concerning problems that were solved by re-plumbing the regulator/rails.

If designing a system from scratch, invest in the rails to prevent doing things twice.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

how would you plumb a return style fuel rail-would you go from a pump to one rail, use a cross over to the other side, and have that side go to the reg and return from there?
are there rail kits that fit like an LS3 intake, with the correct spacing for the injectors
Old 02-16-2014, 07:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by forcd ind
how would you plumb a return style fuel rail-would you go from a pump to one rail, use a cross over to the other side, and have that side go to the reg and return from there?
are there rail kits that fit like an LS3 intake, with the correct spacing for the injectors
NO, Inlet should feed both rails. Out let should go to the pressure regulator, then return to tank.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:29 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by forcd ind
Series plumbing of rails works fine up to approx. 1000rwhp as long as the rails are of -8 internal size or larger. For bigger power or smaller size rails, or fuels other than gasoline, parallel is recommended.

As for aftermarket LS3 rails, they are available.
Please call if you are interested in a set.

Quick Reply: regulator before the rail?