Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Injector leak down

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injector leak down

I have been working with cars for years. Mostly old school. Now I have swapped in an LS3 into my 72 Vette. I have not had it out on the road yet as it has just a base tune to get it running. It has been started on/off for about a year just moving it around. Pulled the dipstick and the oil wreaked of gasoline. Little cloudy looking also. So I changed it. I put in a fuel pressure gauge in the fuel rail. It mantains 58 PSI while running. After shutting it down it takes about 2 hours to get down to about 0 psi. Is this normal or should it stay pressureized. Stock LS3 injectors and about 18K miles on them.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Talking Could be..

that a "base tune" is fat, and repeated cold starts is the cause of the fuel/oil situation.
2 hrs is not an issue.
Yr old, shitty gas doesn't help.
A data log would help detect issues.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I have put fresh gas in it but yes the tune has always been fat. Life situations have delayed the project but I am back on track now. I should be at the tuners within a few weeks to get it running correctly.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

ANY engine will smell like this until its warmed up and the fuel evaps out of the oil. Try it sometime, start up any car and only run it for 5 mins then shut it off and the oil will reek of gas. The LS series of engines use light tension rings and short piston skirts which adds to the fuel getting past the rings into the oil. Figure some thing in the range of 3-5% or more of your combustion gases get past the rings. That's is the PCV's job to get rid of these gases.

Quick Reply: Injector leak down