Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Driver side rich, passenger side lean...help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 01:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver side rich, passenger side lean...help!

I've got an ls6 swapped rx7. Since I moved from the east coast to out west it has been running really rich, like I get out of the car smelling like fuel rich. I thought at first it was due to the massive change in elevation from where I got it dyno tuned. I'd change out the plugs every few months and they'd always be black. Just changed them out today and the drivers side was black, passenger side was a tan, super lean running colored. I haven't changed anything mechanically in a few years on it, so I don't get the sudden change. Another note is it has sometimes started up and ran horrible, very stuttery and hesitant and other times it runs like a dream. Also at right around 55mph it sometimes "dies out" for like a second and then comes back on strong. Sorry if this is a lot of info, I just figure it's all related. I do have hp tuners, just have personally never used it so if that's requested (which I assume it will be) I'll need a couple of tips to guide me the right way.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Verify your fuel trims.
Driver's side might have a vacuum or exhaust leak before the O2 sensor. The enrichment on driver's is the engine's attempt to achieve a/f balance because of a leak on that side.
I can't tell if the pass side has a problem (tan plugs) from my vantage point.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Sounds like you've had a bad tune and now something has gone bad, The first thing I would look at is 02 sensors. What injectors are you running?
Old 02-23-2016, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

Don't know if you have anything to indicate a check engine light but I would scan the pcm for codes. Sounds like timing chain tensioner / guides may have gone south and the chain could have excessive slop causing the issues you're running into.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gMAG
Verify your fuel trims.
Driver's side might have a vacuum or exhaust leak before the O2 sensor. The enrichment on driver's is the engine's attempt to achieve a/f balance because of a leak on that side.
I can't tell if the pass side has a problem (tan plugs) from my vantage point.
I finally hooked up the hptuners and took it to work tonight. I'll upload the file in about 8 hours. I assume I just load the file that I saved?
Old 04-05-2016, 07:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

yeah add it to your post with the little paperclip icon on the "go advanced" posting option

and a log of the car would be helpful too
Old 04-05-2016, 11:05 AM
Teching In

Here is the log, hopefully it works haha. New to this stuff. As far as the log, any time you see a dip is when I was either coasting to a stop or stopped. Around the 10:40 mark I slowed down to ~30 and put it in third for a mostly WOT hit just to see different numbers, the quick drop in rpms is because I gave it some more skinny pedal and broke the tires loose. Thanks for the help!
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
20 min work.hpl (1.23 MB, 62 views)

Quick Reply: Driver side rich, passenger side lean...help!