Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Adding race fuel

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 01:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding race fuel

OK I have a 99camaro ss Ls1 vrx4 cam 243 heads tsp headers 1 7/8 and y pipe. I am running pump gas this is my daily driver. Was thinking about adding some race fuel when I went to the track my questions are do u have to get a different tune ? Can I just mix race fuel with my gas to give me just a little more power? any input or info would be great thanks
Old 07-17-2016, 01:21 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Unless your current tune is pulling timing from knock, then you might actually lose power by adding race fuel.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

You probably would not gain any power. And you might lose just a smidgen. But, race fuel with a higher octane burns cleaner, and there's a lot less inclination for detonation. And detonation is a bad thing.

Unless you're data logging, it could be darned near impossible to tell if you're knocking. Sometimes it's very subtle, and the computer pulls timing before you can hear it. If that's happening, you'll pick up a little power with better fuel.

I would give it a try. Mix it 50/50 with pump fuel, and see how the car does. The worst that can happen is that you spend a little more money for fuel.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Not gonna gain any power without a tune designed to take advantage of the extra octane.

Quick Reply: Adding race fuel