Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Huge fuel/PCM issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Huge fuel/PCM issue

I need help so bad right now.

So... where to start... First, I have a 97 base Firebird with 3.8L engine.

Back in march, my fuel pump went, so I got a new one, installed, car ran fine. The pump is a high pro one, but everyone I have spoken to tells me it shouldn't pull anymore than 12v, and as far as I know, its using correct voltage.

About a month ago, I replaced the fuel pump relay, and got it working again.

About 2 weeks ago, the car had a MAJOR fail. Was scary as all hell, because engine light clicked and flashed madly and car died. Come to find out, it burnt the wires in the tank (I am damn lucky I didn't have any air in there). Got it home, fixed it, or so I thought.

2 days ago, I go for a long drive, shut off car, it refuses to start again... My brother came and helped me. The relay was fried. I got another one but he ended up taking out the relay and bypassed it with a wire (Since the 12V bypass at the harness under the hood doesn't seem to cut it). Seemed to run ok, as long as i didn't kill the battery by forgetting to unplug the pump...

Today, I go to wire it back up to run it, the PCM BATT fuse was blown. I kinda figured there was an issue from all the problems before. Now, I replaced the fuse and I go to plug in the wire, and there's no power to the fuel pump. I used a logic light to make sure there was still power where it was supposed to be (I am not highly familiar, but I know that it lights blue or red when there's power).

I am coming to a loss as to what to do. Right now, I have bat unhooked and that fuse removed to see if it resets the computer.

My question is... Where do I look next? What do I do? Do I tear my dashboard apart and follow the wires?
Old 08-10-2016, 07:11 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Is it possible that the old pump died because of a wiring issue, and you're just now fighting that particular issue with the new pump?

Quick Reply: Huge fuel/PCM issue