Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

internal or external pump?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 02:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default internal or external pump?

I have a 98 Z28 that a carb'd LM7 is going into. I'm using the stock tank. Would it be better to run an external pump or an in tank pump? If in tank, do I use the regulator in the tank, or ditch it somehow. If external, how would I plumb it using the stock tank. Isn't much movement in the carb section.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyp3353
I have a 98 Z28 that a carb'd LM7 is going into. I'm using the stock tank. Would it be better to run an external pump or an in tank pump? If in tank, do I use the regulator in the tank, or ditch it somehow. If external, how would I plumb it using the stock tank. Isn't much movement in the carb section.
An internal pump is almost always better, except when you can't get one big enough to supply your needs. I doubt this is the case at this point. If you use the in-tank regulator, you would still have to run an additional external bypass regulator to get the pressure down to carb friendly levels. Now that I think about it, didn't '98 still use a return style with a rail-mounted regulator? If that is the case, you just run a low pressure regulator to feed back into the factory return line, and the only plumbing you have to change is under the hood. As a bonus, the factory pump will flow quite a bit more at 8 or 10 psi than it does at 58.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:21 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Much appreciated

Quick Reply: internal or external pump?