Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Boostane????????????????

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 12:14 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

All the technical considerations aside, there was a product called Octanium available some years ago. The stuff worked. I would typically get several degrees of knock retard on the 91 octane available around here, and adding it would clear it and I would run faster.

This is as opposed to adding Toluene, which corrected the knock retard, but caused me to run slower.

I've tried all the usual octane boosters (usually MMT based) and Octanium was the only one that did anything.

If Boostane is a similar formula, it just might work for you.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:19 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

VP Octanium is still available at most local parts stores, u like Boostane.

I bought some Octanium at Autozone earlier for a dyno session tomorrow.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pantera EFI
OK, MY method IS to make MY OWN E-8x out of E-98 or E-100 (from bakers, yeast suppliers) AND mixing pump gas or race fuel.

Would it be possible to find E-100/98 in your area ?

Lance
Yes I can possibly do this. But my goal for this build is to be able to pump gas into it anywhere. Not just at home out of a 55 gallon drum. So I'm trying to figure out any option to do that right now. But yes i could do that...although i would need bigger injectors.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JoeNova
VP Octanium is still available at most local parts stores, u like Boostane.

I bought some Octanium at Autozone earlier for a dyno session tomorrow.
sweet let us know how it goes
Old 11-20-2016, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Krom
some info I've stolen over the years...

Thanks for that, it really resonated with me, makes a lot of sense.

Sure makes a huge case for running Alcohol!

Gasoline is just too complex of a compound with so many variables!
Old 11-20-2016, 01:21 PM
TECH Resident

Old 11-22-2016, 06:38 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by josh4ku
sweet let us know how it goes
Octanium worked fine.
I poured 1 quart into a full tank of 93.

Was able to add 3 degrees of timing with no knock.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:19 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Octanium worked fine.
I poured 1 quart into a full tank of 93. Was able to add 3 degrees of timing with no knock.
Good to know it's still available. I gave up on it after being unable to find it in stores or online. As I said, it's the only octane booster that's ever done anything for me.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Peanut gallery opinion, (I've worked with a ton of fuel vendors over the last 25 years.. )

Fuel manufacturers change the additive package all the time, there is no way to predict the outcome with pump gas and octane boosters long term. So even if the source will test on your pump gas, the next truck may bring a different chemical combination. That may work better or worse you wont know til the expensive noises come out of the engine.

If you cant buy E100, Any large chem supply house can sell you 50 gal drums of Ethanol or Methanol about 300 to 400 US. Your best long term bet is to get a ECU that can carry a dual tune or a spare ECU, 1 for pump gas and one for Alcohol/race gas and run a extra 5 gal tank.. With separate plumbing. You can buy also buy Sunoco E100 at almost any circle track in the south...
Old 11-23-2016, 10:13 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Bus Fuel = E-95

OK, you want "pump fuel", try E-95.

This fuel is made for High Compression Tubrocharged bus engine operation.

Would you be able to find this pump fuel in your area ?

Lance
Old 11-24-2016, 08:51 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Pantera EFI
OK, you want "pump fuel", try E-95.

This fuel is made for High Compression Tubrocharged bus engine operation.

Would you be able to find this pump fuel in your area ?

Lance

dont habe that around round my are either. I'm in northwest Kansas. A lot of people here.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
Peanut gallery opinion, (I've worked with a ton of fuel vendors over the last 25 years.. )

Fuel manufacturers change the additive package all the time, there is no way to predict the outcome with pump gas and octane boosters long term. So even if the source will test on your pump gas, the next truck may bring a different chemical combination. That may work better or worse you wont know til the expensive noises come out of the engine.

If you cant buy E100, Any large chem supply house can sell you 50 gal drums of Ethanol or Methanol about 300 to 400 US. Your best long term bet is to get a ECU that can carry a dual tune or a spare ECU, 1 for pump gas and one for Alcohol/race gas and run a extra 5 gal tank.. With separate plumbing. You can buy also buy Sunoco E100 at almost any circle track in the south...

I was just really wanting to build this car to be pumped anywhere. I may just have to run lower boost and conservative timing. That with Boostane and meth should be plenty safe. Boostane company is fairly new, they aren't a huge company . If you call them you can actually talk to one of the engineers if you want. I like that about them, they care to talk to you.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:56 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

I believe it’s required by law for all to provide an MSDS on a product like that. If you request it they have to give it to you. It’s usually posted on the website. But by law it has to be available to the general public. Would give you an idea what’s in it anyway.

Pump ethanol is by far the cheapest octane boost there is IMO. Drive to an E85 pump and get a drum full. Mix it 50/50 with your 87 octane. There’s a Delphi research paper out there where they tested many different ethanol blends and found the anti-knock index of each. Basically showed going over 50% ethanol gives you diddly as far as additional knock resistance. 50% Won’t kill you on the fuel system requirements and will offer the same anti-knock rating as actual E85.

You can also get drums of IGNITE 114 which is a 90% ethanol blended with a little race gas. Sold to dirt track racers mostly. Any fuel distributor can get it. Just need to call around. I'm in KS as well and Ethanol is not hard to come by if you drive a little. Should be able to get 91 octane as well? Not that it's needed.

It is interesting to note that the blending response of RON
and MON as a function of ethanol content is highly nonlinear.
There is a substantial octane improvement between
Regular Gas (RG) and E10, and between E10 and E50. However, between E50 and E85 there is very little difference in either RON or
MON. It is well-established that properties of ethanol gasoline
blends, such as Reid vapor pressure, do have nonlinear responses.

Name:  e85%20knock_zpspxp7j76k.jpg
Views: 5313
Size:  80.1 KB

Last edited by Forcefed86; 12-08-2016 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
I believe it’s required by law for all to provide an MSDS on a product like that. If you request it they have to give it to you. It’s usually posted on the website. But by law it has to be available to the general public. Would give you an idea what’s in it anyway.

Pump ethanol is by far the cheapest octane boost there is IMO. Drive to an E85 pump and get a drum full. Mix it 50/50 with your 87 octane. There’s a Delphi research paper out there where they tested many different ethanol blends and found the anti-knock index of each. Basically showed going over 50% ethanol gives you diddly as far as additional knock resistance. 50% Won’t kill you on the fuel system requirements and will offer the same anti-knock rating as actual E85.

You can also get drums of IGNITE 114 which is a 90% ethanol blended with a little race gas. Sold to dirt track racers mostly. Any fuel distributor can get it. Just need to call around. I'm in KS as well and Ethanol is not hard to come by if you drive a little. Should be able to get 91 octane as well? Not that it's needed.

I know ethanol based fuel is the best option. But I want this car to be able to pump fuel anywhere. I am 60 mile round tripe for 91 and e85 station. Thats why Im looking to boostane so much.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

anybody using torco?
Old 12-09-2016, 07:23 AM
TECH Resident

Torco settles when it sits is why I don't want to use it. Boostane isn't suppose to.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Necropost

I use boostane professional I have had no problems
Old 08-18-2018, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Dian
anybody using torco?
I do. I think the PO of my car had some ******* tune put on the car which is stock. Would constantly ping under hard accelration in the summer running 91-93 pump gas. Car has 30K miles, runs flawlessly otherwise. I came across Torco and bought a quart. Put about a third of a bottle in per tank full, zero ping no matter what. Friends 69 Camaro has an old school LT1. Fattened up the carb, retarded timing, could never get rid of ping - just too much compression I spose. Ging to a show we stopped to fill p, I told im to throw some Torco in the tank. Zero ping. Stuff works IMHO.

Quick Reply: Boostane????????????????